Criteria for Volunteers
• Age requirement: 18-30 years old. US participants must be high-school graduates with at least one year of work or college. International participants are welcome.
• Commitment to live and work in grassroots communities for a predetermined term of 8-10 weeks.
• Full participation in all phases of the group volunteer experience, including: orientation, volunteer site placement, regrouping, and follow-up.
• Respect for and willingness to live among people of different faiths, cultures and traditions different from their own.
• Interest in bridging global experience with one's local community.
• Seeking exposure to and learning from communities of faith around the world.
• Accept Micah's challenge "to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
• Participate fully in the experience of linking faith and justice, as both developed by the volunteer site and approved by the Women's Division.
It is expected that Global Justice Volunteers will demonstrate and make a commitment to working within the framework of these criteria. The program is not designed to match a volunteer's specific skills with the needs of a local site. In this respect, the program is not a volunteer placement service in which a particular individual's skills are matched with the work needs of the volunteer site. Acceptance to the program is based upon an individual's desire and willingness to accompany individuals and community groups in their work for social justice. Global Justice Volunteers do not replace or assume the responsibilities of leaders within the host communities.