We found 83 additional articles filed under General Conference. They're listed below, most recent first.
- How Will Recent Changes to United Methodist Women Affect Local Women?
12/01/2012 -- The 2012 General Conference allowed United Methodist Women to separate from the General Board of Global Ministries and become an official independent organization within the United Methodist Church. Since then, many members have been inquiring about how t...
- A Circle of Thanksgiving
11/01/2012 -- What does the national Thanksgving holiday mean for Native American peoples?
- Perspectives on General Conference: on gcsrw.org
10/01/2012 -- Leanne Nakanishi, California-Pacific Conference United Methodist Women’s president, and general secretary/CEO Harriett Jane Olson are featured in the Sptember/October 2012 edition of The Flyer.
- A Life in Mission
09/01/2012 -- At 92, Mary Ellen Owen has lived a lot of history -- and she's still committed to Christian mission through United Methodist Women.
- United Methodist Women Announces 2013-2016 Board of Directors
07/16/2012 -- United Methodist Women's outgoing leadership is offering an enthusiastic welcome of new elected leadership for the 2013-2016 Board of Directors.
- Is This Your Mother's UMW?
07/02/2012 -- On May 1, the 2012 United Methodist General Conference approved legislation to separate UMW and its administrative body, the Women’s Division, from the Board of Global Ministries, to which it had been related for decades.
- Responsively Yours: What Can You Imagine?
07/01/2012 -- Structural configurations alone will not make us the multigenerational, multicultural, multilingual, multiracial, Spirit-filled organization that we want to be. But if we imagine it and build it and work toward it, I believe that God will bless our effort...
- An Act of Repentance
07/01/2012 -- Delegates to General Conference 2012 used United Methodist Women resources to prepare for a service of atonement for a 1864 massacre native Americans; beyond repentance for past wrongs in the US, the service denounced modern-day genocidal policies and act...
- Cordialmente Suya: ¿Qué Podríamos Imaginar?
07/01/2012 -- ¡La Conferencia General de 2012 ha lanzado a las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas a un nuevo futuro! La propuesta conjunta de la División de Mujeres y la Junta General de Ministerios Globales se recibió con tanto apoyo que el primero de mayo fue aprobada abrumad...
- Korean PDF - Responsively Yours: What Can You Imagine?
07/01/2012 -- Korean version of the monthly installment by Harriett Jane Olson. Structural configurations alone will not make us the multigenerational, multicultural, multilingual, multiracial, Spirit-filled organization that we want to be.
- Is this your mother’s UMW?
06/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women starts a new chapter of its 143-year-old existence as a mission movement for women within The United Methodist Church.
- Now For Something Completely Different
05/18/2012 -- I left Tampa on May 5 with hope bubbling up in my thoughts about possible structures for The United Methodist Church. Here’s what I saw.
- United Methodist Women and the Display That Wasn’t
05/03/2012 -- United Methodist Women didn’t have an exhibit at General Conference. Instead, they roped off their display area and set off on a flurry of learning and mission opportunities around Tampa, where General Conference is being held.
- General Conference Approves New Resolution on Peace in Afghanistan
05/02/2012 -- United Methodist Women proposed the resolution, “Seeking Peace in Afghanistan,” which passed at General Conference with amendments, and calls for The United Methodist Church to support an end to war and seek a process of peace in Afghanistan.
- Q & A with Cathy Capo Stone: Remember the Children Living in Poverty
05/01/2012 -- As adults discuss and make policy for The United Methodist Church, Ms. Cathy Capo Stone, executive director at Cornerstone Family Ministries, reminds us to not forget the impact of church work on inner-city children whom she cares for every day. Cornersto...
- General Conference Approves United Methodist Women Autonomy
05/01/2012 -- By a vote of 889 to 20, General Conference made United Methodist Women an autonomous organization within the United Methodist Church May 1 during its quadrennial meeting Tampa, Fla. The historic vote separates the national policymaking body of women organ...
- United Methodists Celebrate and Commission 40 New Deaconesses, Home Missioners and Missionaries
04/30/2012 -- A firefighter, a nursing supervisor, a counselor for ex-prisoners, an advocate for Haitian artists, an afterschool chess teacher, and a coordinator of relief volunteers – these were among the 17 new deaconesses and home missioners commissioned on Sund...
- Craft Sales Support Mission in Zimbabwe
04/28/2012 -- Handcrafted gifts by Zimbabwe women sold at General Conference benefit Nyamacheni Mission School, a 2011 United Methodist Women Call to Prayer and Denial grant recipient.
- United Methodist Women Day
04/28/2012 -- Women organized for mission gathered for sisterhood and rallied for immigrants and an end to private prisons April 28, United Methodist Women Day at General Conference.
- Rally Highlights Private Prison Detention
04/28/2012 -- Coinciding with a rally to end the private prison industry’s increased detention-for-profit policies, United Methodist Women members descended on General Conference to declare Saturday, April 28, 2012 “United Methodist Women Day.”
- “Signs” of Life in Lay Ministries
04/27/2012 -- Mary E. Harris of Conway UMC in Orlando, Angela Liston of Morrison UMC in Leesburg, FL, Michelle Menefee of First UMC in Houston, TX, and Betty Ostrom of Pine Castle UMC in Orlando are laywomen composing the team of ASL interpreters for the 2012 General C...
- The Intersections of United Methodist Women and UMCOR
04/27/2012 -- A United Methodist Women MeetUp on Thursday, April 25 during General Conference highlighted the connectional ministries of United Methodist Women and the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
- The Theology of Glee: A General Conference “Gleetup”
04/26/2012 -- “Glee lifts up spiritual and theological questions, good and bad.” Rev. Becca Clark, clergywoman and a delegate from New England Conference led this MeetUp (one of sevaral to come) of United Methodist Women.
- End-of-Day Prayer Meetup, April 25
04/26/2012 -- Every day at General Conference, United Methodist Women is organizing end-of-day prayer gatherings for all–delegates, agency and conference staff, clergy, laity and visitors alike–to center themselves amidst the hectic schedules and grueling meetings requ...
- Rest for the Weary: United Methodist Women and Deaconesses Provide Room for Prayer
04/25/2012 -- A quiet space amid the bustle of General Conference is open to all the weary United Methodist delegates and guests looking for sanctuary and peace.
- Women, Youth, Race Monitoring Agencies Host Joint Pre-GC Briefing
04/24/2012 -- More than 500 people packed a ballroom of the Tampa Convention Center in Florida for a pre-conference briefing for delegates to the 2012 General Conference of the United Methodist Church, April 24.
- End-of-Day Prayer Meetup, April 24
04/24/2012 -- Thank you for this day, God. Thank you for the new day we will open our eyes to in the morning. Amen.
- Watch General Conference Events Live Online
04/23/2012 -- GC2012.umc.org will live-stream video of all plenary sessions, morning prayer and evening worship services, the Episcopal Address, Laity Address, Young People’s Address, Act of Repentance and other highlights.
- Marva Usher-Kerr: Profile of a General Conference Delegate On the Move
04/22/2012 -- “Are we going to deal with surface issues? Or are we going to deal with racism, classism, ageism? Are we going to deal with poverty?” Marva Usher-Kerr of Women’s Division prays that important mission issues remain in focus.
- United Methodist Women in Ministry With Poor at General Conference
04/20/2012 -- United Methodist Women will participate in "Breaking Bread with Tampa," which is serving free lunches to the homeless during General Conference 2012.
- Tampa Event Geared to Immigrant Detention
04/18/2012 -- “Profit From Pain Is Inhumane! Dignity Not Detention” will be theme of a rally during General Conference 2012.
- Cutting-Edge Ministries and Commissioning of Deaconesses and Home Missioners
04/17/2012 -- These women and men follow Jesus in ministering to those in the "margins of society." You can watch the April 29th service of commissioning online.
- Sending Prayer Mantles to General Conference: on umcnic.org
04/11/2012 -- Northern Illinois Conference web article: In March, United Methodist Women members from across Northern Illinois Conference created prayer mantles for delegates ahead of General Conference in Tampa, Fla., April 24-May 4, 2012.
- Selena Smith, Firefighter, to Be Commissioned a Deaconess at General Conference
04/11/2012 -- She’s young, she’s a firefighter and she’s about to be the first South Carolina woman in years to be commissioned as a United Methodist deaconess during General Conference.
- Thomas Kemper Gives Remarks to 2009-2012 Women’s Division Directors
04/02/2012 -- The General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministries, Thomas Kemper, gave closing remarks on the legacy of directors at their final meeting of the 2009-2012 quadrennium, the Semi-Annual board meeting in Plano, Tex., March 15-19, 2012.
- Profile of a Deaconess: Amanda Mountain
04/02/2012 -- Amanda Mountain was one of 12 deaconesses and one home missioner commissioned at the Women’s Division Assembly in 2010. Ms. Mountain is looking forward to standing with the 15 deaconess and 2 home missioners who will be commissioned during the 2012 Genera...
- Responsively Yours: Women and Children First
04/01/2012 -- Experience from economic development work around the world shows that when women are healthy and have access to employment and education, they invest in the health of the children and the community.
- Someone's Praying, Lord
03/27/2012 -- Ask God to give wisdom to the delegates to make decisions that will lift up the presence of the church as an effective witness in the world.
- Carbon Footprint Toolkit
03/26/2012 -- Find out what you can do in your home, your church, your community and your annual conference to help stop climate change.
- Finding Our Self: United Methodist Women in the Next Quadrennium
03/20/2012 -- At the spring 2012 Women’s Division board meeting, Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson asks United Methodist Women to define itself as an organization that is part of the body of Christ.
- Responsively Yours: First Hit Pause
03/09/2012 -- As we approach General Conference, how many of the concerns or fears impelling us to certain points of view are based on analyses that fit the past better than the present?
- Beyond Labels
03/09/2012 -- Seeking open dialogue and community in a divided world.
- Korean PDF - Responsively Yours: First Hit Pause
03/01/2012 -- Korean version of the monthly installment by Harriett Jane Olson.
- Cordialmente Suya: Primero Piense Pausadamente
03/01/2012 -- Nos esforzamos por recibir con corazones abiertos el movimiento del Espíritu Santo.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- United Methodist Women: Amend Discipline Paragraph 256.5
12/09/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall be organized in every local church.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Conference: Amend Discipline Paragraph 647
12/08/2011 -- In each annual conference there shall be a conference organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the jurisdiction and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Jurisdiction: Amend Discipline Paragraph 536
12/08/2011 -- In each jurisdiction there shall be a jurisdiction organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the national organization of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.1
12/07/2011 -- There shall be in The United Methodist Church the Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the District: Amend Discipline Paragraph 669
12/07/2011 -- In each district there shall be a district organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the conference and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.5
12/06/2011 -- Delete ¶ 1314.6.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.4
12/06/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner shall hold church membership in a local church within the conference where her/his appointment is located and shall be a voting member of the charge conference of that church.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraphs 1314.2, 1314.3, 1314.7
12/06/2011 -- Deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, are professionally trained persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christlike service under the authority of the Church.
- Supporting the Work of Deaconesses and Home Missioners: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1317
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization shall retain staff whose primary assignment is to represent deaconesses and home missioners on a national level and to maintain a community of professionally competent persons who are committed to service und...
- Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1316
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization will organize the Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.9
12/05/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner may request a leave of absence according to the administrative guidelines and procedures of United Methodist Women.
- Responsibilities: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1319
12/04/2011 -- Multiple changes and improvements to text.
- Women’s Division: New paragraph before Discipline Paragraph 1318
12/04/2011 -- There shall be an organization called United Methodist Women in The United Methodist Church in the United States, organized at the local church, district, conference, jurisdiction and national levels.
- Structure: Delete Discipline Paragraph 1322
12/03/2011 -- Not needed due to proposed revisions of ¶ 1321.
- Organization: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1321
12/03/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women may elect an executive committee of such membership as it may determine, which shall exercise the powers of the board ad interim.
- Authority: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1320
12/03/2011 -- The Board of Directors of United Methodist Women shall meet at least annually and at such other times as it may deem necessary.
- Membership of the Board of Directors: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1325
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall have a board of directors composed of 25 members as follows: 20 shall be laywomen elected by the jurisdiction organizations of United Methodist Women at quadrennial meetings (¶ 536.4); and five shall be laywomen elected by the...
- United Methodist Women Program Advisory Group: Add after Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall organize a Program Advisory Group to provide input at regular intervals to the board of directors about the program and planning of the organization.
- Finances: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- The funds for the fulfillment of the responsibilities of United Methodist Women shall be derived from annual voluntary pledges, offerings, gifts, devises, bequests, annuities, or money received through special emphases and meetings held in the interest of...
- Assembly: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1323
12/02/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women shall determine the time and place of meeting and the purpose of the Assembly.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey. The Lord looked and was displeased that there was no justice. G...
- Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing.
- Caring for God’s Creation: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- God has given humankind responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s steward.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit says the Lord of hosts. —Zechariah 4:6
11/04/2011 -- United Methodists call for education and dialogue on a popular technique for natural gas drilling.
- Rooted in Justice
11/04/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s work for peace and justice has 140-year-old roots.
- Criminalization of Communities of Color
10/05/2011 -- Racial disparities in the nation's legal system continue to challenge fairness and equal justice.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate
09/02/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan
09/02/2011 -- For Afghans, the current war involving more than 100,000 foreign military troops is simply the latest in a long history of foreigners trying to impose by military might their own agenda in Afghanistan.
- The Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States
09/02/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing. The United Methodist Church needs to actively work to dismantle cu...
- Caring for God's Creation
09/02/2011 -- God has given humankind responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s steward. (Genesis 2:15) The Bible’s message, however, goes beyond just managing natural resources wisely.
- Speaking Out For Justice
09/01/2011 -- Resolutions on reconciliation, racial justice, climate change and peace make their way to the 2012 General Conference in Tampa, Fla.
- Cordialmente Suya: Preparadas para Nuestros Próximos 100 Años en Misión
06/01/2011 -- ¡Este es un buen momento para ser miembro de las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas!
- Korean/PDF. Responsively Yours: Ready for Our Next 100 Years in Mission
06/01/2011 -- Directors of Women’s Division and Global Ministries have both risen to the moment and approved a new proposal for working together in the future.
- Learn About United Methodist Church Policy on Immigration
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women's work for immigrant and civil rights is based on United Methodist policy as affirmed by General Conference in 2008.
- Sally L. Vonner Elected to Women's Division AGS Position, and Other Approvals
10/13/2010 -- At their Annual board meeting, Oct. 7-11 in Stamford, Conn., the Women’s Division board of directors approved or reported on the following actions.
- "Holy Conferencing:" Speaking to One Another as Christians Despite Differing Views
10/07/2007 -- A set for guidelines for helping United Methodists talk among themselves about important, even controversial, matters without falling into acrimony and name calling has been developed for use as the denomination moves toward its 2008 legislating General C...
Return to the original article.