We found 60 additional articles filed under Resolution. They're listed below, most recent first.
- District and Conference Bylaws
12/10/2013 -- Updated bylaws appear in the United Methodist Women Handbook 2013-2016.
- United Methodist Women Launches Principles to Immigration Reform
02/01/2013 -- United Methodist Women offers core principles on immigration reform to guide us in the intense national debate and negotiations ahead.
- Revisiting the Rev. King’s Call to Action in His “Beyond Vietnam” Speech
01/15/2013 -- Reflecting on passages from his “Beyond Vietnam” speech reveals Dr. King’s words as enduringly prophetic and persistent.
- Violence in Gaza: What United Methodist Women Supports in Israel-Palestine
11/29/2012 -- We grieve over this and call on United Methodist women to keep the conflict in your prayers and thoughts. United Methodist Women supports many projects in Israel-Palestine.
- Hershey's Fair Trade
11/01/2012 -- United Methodist voices help persuade chocolate company to address child labor.
- Responsively Yours: Break Stalemates to Peace
10/01/2012 -- Have the tragic shootings around the country this year prompted you to prayer and action or are you stunned? Like Jesus’ lament in Luke 19; for we do not know the “things that make for peace.”
- General Conference Approves New Resolution on Peace in Afghanistan
05/02/2012 -- United Methodist Women proposed the resolution, “Seeking Peace in Afghanistan,” which passed at General Conference with amendments, and calls for The United Methodist Church to support an end to war and seek a process of peace in Afghanistan.
- Women, Youth, Race Monitoring Agencies Host Joint Pre-GC Briefing
04/24/2012 -- More than 500 people packed a ballroom of the Tampa Convention Center in Florida for a pre-conference briefing for delegates to the 2012 General Conference of the United Methodist Church, April 24.
- Cutting-Edge Ministries and Commissioning of Deaconesses and Home Missioners
04/17/2012 -- These women and men follow Jesus in ministering to those in the "margins of society." You can watch the April 29th service of commissioning online.
- Responsively Yours: Women and Children First
04/01/2012 -- Experience from economic development work around the world shows that when women are healthy and have access to employment and education, they invest in the health of the children and the community.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- Women's Division Statement to the Fifty-sixth Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
01/24/2012 -- Statement submitted by The United Methodist Church General Board of Global Ministries, Women’s Division, a nongovernmental organization in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council to the Fifty-sixth session of the Commission on the Stat...
- United Methodist Women: Amend Discipline Paragraph 256.5
12/09/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall be organized in every local church.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Conference: Amend Discipline Paragraph 647
12/08/2011 -- In each annual conference there shall be a conference organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the jurisdiction and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Jurisdiction: Amend Discipline Paragraph 536
12/08/2011 -- In each jurisdiction there shall be a jurisdiction organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the national organization of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.1
12/07/2011 -- There shall be in The United Methodist Church the Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the District: Amend Discipline Paragraph 669
12/07/2011 -- In each district there shall be a district organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the conference and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.5
12/06/2011 -- Delete ¶ 1314.6.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.4
12/06/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner shall hold church membership in a local church within the conference where her/his appointment is located and shall be a voting member of the charge conference of that church.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraphs 1314.2, 1314.3, 1314.7
12/06/2011 -- Deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, are professionally trained persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christlike service under the authority of the Church.
- Supporting the Work of Deaconesses and Home Missioners: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1317
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization shall retain staff whose primary assignment is to represent deaconesses and home missioners on a national level and to maintain a community of professionally competent persons who are committed to service und...
- Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1316
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization will organize the Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.9
12/05/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner may request a leave of absence according to the administrative guidelines and procedures of United Methodist Women.
- Responsibilities: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1319
12/04/2011 -- Multiple changes and improvements to text.
- Women’s Division: New paragraph before Discipline Paragraph 1318
12/04/2011 -- There shall be an organization called United Methodist Women in The United Methodist Church in the United States, organized at the local church, district, conference, jurisdiction and national levels.
- Structure: Delete Discipline Paragraph 1322
12/03/2011 -- Not needed due to proposed revisions of ¶ 1321.
- Organization: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1321
12/03/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women may elect an executive committee of such membership as it may determine, which shall exercise the powers of the board ad interim.
- Authority: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1320
12/03/2011 -- The Board of Directors of United Methodist Women shall meet at least annually and at such other times as it may deem necessary.
- Membership of the Board of Directors: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1325
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall have a board of directors composed of 25 members as follows: 20 shall be laywomen elected by the jurisdiction organizations of United Methodist Women at quadrennial meetings (¶ 536.4); and five shall be laywomen elected by the...
- United Methodist Women Program Advisory Group: Add after Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall organize a Program Advisory Group to provide input at regular intervals to the board of directors about the program and planning of the organization.
- Finances: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- The funds for the fulfillment of the responsibilities of United Methodist Women shall be derived from annual voluntary pledges, offerings, gifts, devises, bequests, annuities, or money received through special emphases and meetings held in the interest of...
- Assembly: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1323
12/02/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women shall determine the time and place of meeting and the purpose of the Assembly.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey. The Lord looked and was displeased that there was no justice. G...
- Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing.
- Caring for God’s Creation: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- God has given humankind responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s steward.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit says the Lord of hosts. —Zechariah 4:6
- Women, War & Peace
10/11/2011 -- Join United Methodist Women members around the country in watching this important series that highlights the importance of women’s voices in conflict and the necessity of ending war if we are to ever live in the world of peace God intended for us.
- Directors Celebrate Nobel Peace Laureate Leymah Gbowee
10/10/2011 -- Women’s Division directors had a discussion the following evening with Abigail Disney, executive producer for “Women, War & Peace,” a five-part series on PBS, and producer of “Pray the Devil Back to Hell,” a documentary in which Leymah Gbowee is a central...
- British Methodist Church Leaders Call for Political Progress 10 Years Since 9/11
09/08/2011 -- A decade on from the 9/11 attacks British Church leaders are calling for the Government to examine its use of military force in response to violent extremism.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate
09/02/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan
09/02/2011 -- For Afghans, the current war involving more than 100,000 foreign military troops is simply the latest in a long history of foreigners trying to impose by military might their own agenda in Afghanistan.
- The Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States
09/02/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing. The United Methodist Church needs to actively work to dismantle cu...
- Caring for God's Creation
09/02/2011 -- God has given humankind responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s steward. (Genesis 2:15) The Bible’s message, however, goes beyond just managing natural resources wisely.
- Speaking Out For Justice
09/01/2011 -- Resolutions on reconciliation, racial justice, climate change and peace make their way to the 2012 General Conference in Tampa, Fla.
- Being in Struggle to be Human in Daily Life: A Reflection on 9/11
09/01/2011 -- Someone once said that we are what we remember. Our memories of 9/11 testify to the influence of those who lost their life and those who survived the calamitous disaster on our personal and national life.
- Right Relationships: Video and Study Guide
09/01/2011 -- The tragic events of September 11th traumatized the entire world. In its wake, interfaith dialogue was overshadowed by discrimination, media sensationalism, and a loss of respect for people of different faiths. The Christian community must help re-open th...
- An Interfaith Dialogue Model in Atlanta, Georgia
09/01/2011 -- In the United States I discovered that Christians knew little about other faiths and considered it unnecessary to learn because Christ’s way was sufficient. As a graduate and then a college professor and a church member, I developed a deep yearning to sha...
- The Peacemakers
06/20/2011 -- JustPeace Center equips the church to engage conflict head on with love
- Anne Gallagher's Forgiveness Story
05/23/2011 -- Listen to Anne Gallagher's story of forgiveness as a nurse in the midst of the English-Irish turmoil in Belfast, Ireland.
- The Journey of Forgiveness, Rehumanizing the Other and the Choice to Forgive
05/17/2011 -- We look more closely at the importance of the other’s story, the one who has harmed, and the power of rehumanizing the other and the gift of forgiveness.
- Sample Covenant of Reconciliation
05/16/2011 -- As a community of Jesus’ followers, we covenant to choose grace over pointing fingers.
- Truth and Reconciliation
05/16/2011 -- Nelson Mandela organized the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which would be the organization to work systemically to heal the country after Apartheid and bring about a new future for South Africa.
- The United Methodist Church Seeks Forgiveness
05/16/2011 -- In 2005, the annual conferences of The United Methodist Church focused on confession and healing in the area of racism in the church.
- Learn About United Methodist Church Policy on Immigration
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women's work for immigrant and civil rights is based on United Methodist policy as affirmed by General Conference in 2008.
- A People’s Cathedral in Wisconsin
04/01/2011 -- A United Methodist reports from the struggle for worker’s rights in Madison, Wisc.
- Believe Out Loud
02/28/2011 -- We affirm our belief in the inestimable worth of each individual because we are human beings created by God and loved through and by Jesus Christ, and we affirm all persons as equally valuable in the sight of God.
- Sally L. Vonner Elected to Women's Division AGS Position, and Other Approvals
10/13/2010 -- At their Annual board meeting, Oct. 7-11 in Stamford, Conn., the Women’s Division board of directors approved or reported on the following actions.
- The Power of Words: Curses, Blessings and Interfaith Dialogue
09/30/2010 -- Engaging in interfaith dialogue is a way to follow Paul’s guidance and to bless those who are different from us, those who threaten us and even those who we feel persecute us (and be blessed by them in return).
- An Invitation to Speak Out for Compassion and Against Hate
07/19/2010 -- The Board of Directors affirmed the statement at the Women's Division 2010 Board Meeting.
Return to the original article.