GOVERNMENT AND POLICY
We found 28 additional articles filed under government and policy. They're listed below, most recent first.
- Let There Be Peace on Earth
12/15/2010 -- Much more work remains to ensure that women have a voice in times of conflict and in implementing UNSCR 1325 worldwide. We must all join the efforts of women throughout the world who are saying, “Let there be peace on earth.”
- Take Action for Migrant Rights on December 18, International Migrants Day
12/13/2010 -- In this season of Advent, we commemorate International Migrants Day on December 18, recognizing the efforts, contributions and rights of migrants worldwide. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the United Nations (U.N.) migrant rights convention.
- International Climate Talks On In Mexico
12/03/2010 -- This year’s high-level United Nations climate meeting, the Conference of Parties, has begun in Cancun, Mexico, with an estimated 200 nations sending representatives. United Methodist Women partners are currently there.
- This Thanksgiving, Help End Violence Against Women
11/23/2010 -- Be thankful for your blessings this Thanksgiving: Take action to end violence against women.
- United Methodist Women Register for Independence Vote in Southern Sudan
11/23/2010 -- United Methodist women in Southern Sudan are joining their neighbors in enthusiastically registering to vote in a January referendum on whether their war-torn land will split off from the north of the country.
- Women, Health and Safety
11/17/2010 -- Urge your congressional representative to support and co-sponsor H.R. 5268, the Global Maternal and Newborn Health Outcomes while Maximizing Successes (MOMS) Act.
- Global Migration Focus of Global Gathering in Mexico
11/01/2010 -- United Methodist Women heads to Mexico City this week for the People’s Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights (PGA).
- Interviews with Women from "Voices from the Frontlines"
10/28/2010 -- United Methodist Women spoke to about what would make implementation of UNSCR 1325 effective and how women of faith can implement peace around the world.
- Women Call for Peace Resolution Implementation
10/28/2010 -- In “Voices from the Frontlines,” women from conflict areas around the world shared their experiences on why women need to be involved in decisions that define just and reconciliatory processes on every level.
- Harriett Olson Speaks on Women, Peace and Security
10/26/2010 -- Women’s Division head Harriett Olson spoke on the importance of women’s involvement in peace and security issues for an event on implementing United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 1325 on Women, Peace and Security.
- Sally L. Vonner Elected to Women's Division AGS Position, and Other Approvals
10/13/2010 -- At their Annual board meeting, Oct. 7-11 in Stamford, Conn., the Women’s Division board of directors approved or reported on the following actions.
- Women as Peacemakers, Women as Decision Makers
10/12/2010 -- From Oct. 18-29, the United Nations and women’s and civil society organizations will celebrate 10 years of UNSCR 1325.
- Electing Candidates Committed to Changing Lives for Women, Girls, and Families
10/07/2010 -- Use the Checklist as a tool to assess whether a candidate’s positions reflect values supporting initiatives for women, girls, and families.
- UMC Bishop Thomas Bickerton Speaks on Ending Malaria Deaths at U.N. Panel
09/22/2010 -- United Methodist Women had a presence at the U.N. Week’s Digital Media Lounge Tuesday during which a panel discussion was held about malaria that included United Methodist Bishop Thomas Bickerton, who spearheads the Nothing But Nets campaign.
- My Work With Imam Feisal Rauf and Daisy Khan
09/15/2010 -- As I listen to the debate about the proposed Cordoba House community center at 51 Park Place in Manhattan, I find it painful to see two highly regarded interfaith leaders dragged through the mud by news commentators and politicians who don’t really know t...
- Women's Equality Day: August 26
09/01/2010 -- Governments, nongovernmental organizations and the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals acknowledge the critical importance of gender equality for the advancement of society.
- Wish Social Security a Happy 75th Birthday!
08/17/2010 -- In the emerging battle over Social Security, the stakes for women are high.
- Support the Paycheck Fairness Act
08/04/2010 -- The bill, amending the 1964 Civil Rights Act, enhanced workers rights to sue for pay discrimination.
- President and Congress Act for Historic Financial Reform
07/19/2010 -- Congress passed historic legislation on Thursday to prevent the type of financial meltdown that crippled the U.S. economy in 2008.
- ’I Want to Make a Difference in this World’
06/10/2010 -- Alexis Murphy shares her reflections on marching for immigrant, civil and human rights in a National Day of Action May 29.
- Update: The Beauty and Courage of Sudan
05/11/2010 -- In the months since publication of the geographic study, The Beauty and Courage of Sudan, flickers of hope have enlivened Sudan’s dream of peace.
- Joycelyn Elders Leads Town Hall on Health Care Reform
05/02/2010 -- Dr. Joycelyn Elders encourages women to create a consensus that health care for all is not only necessary but possible.
- United Methodist Women, Local Advocacy Groups Gather in St. Louis May 1 to Call for Immigrant, Civil and Human Rights
04/21/2010 -- On Saturday, May 1, 2010, thousands of United Methodist Women, in St. Louis for their Quadrennial Assembly, and key St. Louis community groups will march and participate in a public faith-based vigil for immigrant, civil and human rights.
- The President’s Budget: A Focus on Women and Families
03/15/2010 -- The White House released its Fiscal Year 2011 budget proposal Feb. 1. The proposed budget makes investments critical to the economic future of women and families.
- Mission Leaders Appeal for End to Violence against Christians in Pakistan
09/04/2009 -- New York, NY, September 4, 2009--Two top mission leaders of The United Methodist Church are appealing to the government of Pakistan to take measures to ensure the safety of a Christian minority under violent attack in some parts of the officially Islamic ...
- West Africa Women Meet to Explore Being Better Together in Christ
06/03/2009 -- This impromptu composition by missionary Catherine Akale became the unofficial theme song of this first gathering of leaders from United Methodist women's organizations within the West Africa Central Conference. The participants gathered in Monrovia, Libe...
- Mission Study on Israel-Palestine Is Consistent with United Methodist Policy
06/24/2008 -- A joint statement of the General Board of Global Ministries and the Women's Division
- Mission Study on "Israel-Palestine" Is Consistent with United Methodist Policy
02/19/2008 -- A comprehensive 1996 statement on Christian-Jewish relations by The United Methodist Church's legislating General Conference strongly reiterated the denomination's opposition to all forms of anti-Semitism.i Four years later, the quadrennial General Confer...
Return to the original article.