Peace Media Monitoring: Sept. 22
Women are invited to participate in peace media monitoring this month in conjunction with the International Day of Peace. Sept. 21 marks the celebration of the International Day of Peace.
The following day, women are asked to participate in Peace Media Monitoring. Click below to the Peace Monitoring Guide and the Peace Monitoring Code Sheet (monitoring forms to complete). Make copies and circulate them among your United Methodist Women unit or circle, and Sunday school class.
- Read the Peace Media Monitoring Guide and Code Sheets carefully before Sept. 22.
- Buy a newspaper, local or national, in your area on Sept. 22.
- Using the Code Sheets, monitor only the front/home/lead page of the newspaper. Save the front page of the newspaper and send it to staff contact, Glory Dharmaraj, with your completed code sheet (see address below).
- You can also monitor online news Sept. 22. Download the page(s) you monitor and send those with Code Sheets to Glory Dharmaraj at address below.
- Invite a friend or your United Methodist Women unit to do the monitoring with you. Do it over a cup of tea or coffee.
- Take photographs of your monitoring.
- In case, there are no coverage of peace and/or conflict in your Sept. 22 newspaper, you can include Sept. 23 news coverage on the front page.
- Deadline for sending completed Code Sheets and newspaper pages is Sept. 30, 2008.
Send completed Code Sheets and newspaper pages to Glory E. Dharmaraj, Church Center for the United Nations, 777 United Nations Plaza, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10017.
Canadian volunteers will do a similar monitoring campaign. Analysis of the completed forms will be done by the North American branch of the World Association of Christian Communication (WACC). United Methodist Women members have participated in WACC-sponsored Gender Monitoring in 1995, 2000 and 2005.
If you have any questions contact Glory Dharmaraj at 212-682-3633 or email@example.com.
*Glory E. Dharmaraj is the director of spiritual formation and mission theology for the Women’s Division of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries.