We found 66 additional articles filed under discipline. They're listed below, most recent first.
- Empowering Young Women and Helping Elderly People in Portugal
06/14/2013 -- In the midst of difficult economic times in Portugal, the Portuguese Federation of Methodist Women (FMM) has continued to step up instead of stepping back to extend care to those in need.
- The Story of Carolina in Nicaragua and Paul of Tarsus
06/12/2013 -- It hadn’t been Carolina’s choice to migrate to Costa Rica, but her situation forced her to do so in order to find a better job and support her children.
- Responsively Yours: Really? Say More
06/01/2013 -- If we are going to learn, especially in this time of change, we need to figure out how to take in new information, even if it is from unexpected places.
- Responsively Yours: A Charge to Keep
04/01/2013 -- Sometimes at church during a baptism or a renewal of our vows, I find the language of this covenant startling: “Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world and repent of your sin?” Wow. Those are not challenges...
- Transforming Lives on the Gulf Coast
03/05/2013 -- At Moore Community House, women learn how to build houses — and their lives.
- Christ-Bearing People Pressing On Toward the Goal
02/26/2013 -- A little over a year ago, the Dallas Bethlehem Center came to a crossroads in its ability to deliver educational and social services to its constituent community. The center experienced a significant lack of financial support, caused, in part, by the down...
- Revisiting the Rev. King’s Call to Action in His “Beyond Vietnam” Speech
01/15/2013 -- Reflecting on passages from his “Beyond Vietnam” speech reveals Dr. King’s words as enduringly prophetic and persistent.
- Mary's Song
12/17/2012 -- Mary’s song is an indigenous honor song. She was a young tribal woman who held within her body the promise of new hope and kept within her heart a deep gratitude for God’s sustaining vision of possibility – the possibility of shalom.
- How Will Recent Changes to United Methodist Women Affect Local Women?
12/01/2012 -- The 2012 General Conference allowed United Methodist Women to separate from the General Board of Global Ministries and become an official independent organization within the United Methodist Church. Since then, many members have been inquiring about how t...
- Is this your mother’s UMW?
06/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women starts a new chapter of its 143-year-old existence as a mission movement for women within The United Methodist Church.
- Now For Something Completely Different
05/18/2012 -- I left Tampa on May 5 with hope bubbling up in my thoughts about possible structures for The United Methodist Church. Here’s what I saw.
- General Conference Approves United Methodist Women Autonomy
05/01/2012 -- By a vote of 889 to 20, General Conference made United Methodist Women an autonomous organization within the United Methodist Church May 1 during its quadrennial meeting Tampa, Fla. The historic vote separates the national policymaking body of women organ...
- United Methodists Celebrate and Commission 40 New Deaconesses, Home Missioners and Missionaries
04/30/2012 -- A firefighter, a nursing supervisor, a counselor for ex-prisoners, an advocate for Haitian artists, an afterschool chess teacher, and a coordinator of relief volunteers – these were among the 17 new deaconesses and home missioners commissioned on Sund...
- Women, Youth, Race Monitoring Agencies Host Joint Pre-GC Briefing
04/24/2012 -- More than 500 people packed a ballroom of the Tampa Convention Center in Florida for a pre-conference briefing for delegates to the 2012 General Conference of the United Methodist Church, April 24.
- Marva Usher-Kerr: Profile of a General Conference Delegate On the Move
04/22/2012 -- “Are we going to deal with surface issues? Or are we going to deal with racism, classism, ageism? Are we going to deal with poverty?” Marva Usher-Kerr of Women’s Division prays that important mission issues remain in focus.
- Cutting-Edge Ministries and Commissioning of Deaconesses and Home Missioners
04/17/2012 -- These women and men follow Jesus in ministering to those in the "margins of society." You can watch the April 29th service of commissioning online.
- Responsively Yours: Women and Children First
04/01/2012 -- Experience from economic development work around the world shows that when women are healthy and have access to employment and education, they invest in the health of the children and the community.
- Someone's Praying, Lord
03/27/2012 -- Ask God to give wisdom to the delegates to make decisions that will lift up the presence of the church as an effective witness in the world.
- Finding Our Self: United Methodist Women in the Next Quadrennium
03/20/2012 -- At the spring 2012 Women’s Division board meeting, Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson asks United Methodist Women to define itself as an organization that is part of the body of Christ.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- United Methodist Women: Amend Discipline Paragraph 256.5
12/09/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall be organized in every local church.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Conference: Amend Discipline Paragraph 647
12/08/2011 -- In each annual conference there shall be a conference organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the jurisdiction and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Jurisdiction: Amend Discipline Paragraph 536
12/08/2011 -- In each jurisdiction there shall be a jurisdiction organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the national organization of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.1
12/07/2011 -- There shall be in The United Methodist Church the Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the District: Amend Discipline Paragraph 669
12/07/2011 -- In each district there shall be a district organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the conference and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.5
12/06/2011 -- Delete ¶ 1314.6.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.4
12/06/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner shall hold church membership in a local church within the conference where her/his appointment is located and shall be a voting member of the charge conference of that church.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraphs 1314.2, 1314.3, 1314.7
12/06/2011 -- Deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, are professionally trained persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christlike service under the authority of the Church.
- Supporting the Work of Deaconesses and Home Missioners: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1317
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization shall retain staff whose primary assignment is to represent deaconesses and home missioners on a national level and to maintain a community of professionally competent persons who are committed to service und...
- Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1316
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization will organize the Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.9
12/05/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner may request a leave of absence according to the administrative guidelines and procedures of United Methodist Women.
- Responsibilities: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1319
12/04/2011 -- Multiple changes and improvements to text.
- Women’s Division: New paragraph before Discipline Paragraph 1318
12/04/2011 -- There shall be an organization called United Methodist Women in The United Methodist Church in the United States, organized at the local church, district, conference, jurisdiction and national levels.
- Structure: Delete Discipline Paragraph 1322
12/03/2011 -- Not needed due to proposed revisions of ¶ 1321.
- Organization: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1321
12/03/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women may elect an executive committee of such membership as it may determine, which shall exercise the powers of the board ad interim.
- Directors Celebrate Nobel Peace Laureate Leymah Gbowee
10/10/2011 -- Women’s Division directors had a discussion the following evening with Abigail Disney, executive producer for “Women, War & Peace,” a five-part series on PBS, and producer of “Pray the Devil Back to Hell,” a documentary in which Leymah Gbowee is a central...
- Take a Walk with Christ
10/01/2011 -- As United Methodist Women members we are the body of Christ. Look at the others seated here. Do we all look the same? Do we have similar attitudes? Do we have identical viewpoints? But when we come together in the sisterhood of grace, we become the bod...
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate
09/02/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan
09/02/2011 -- For Afghans, the current war involving more than 100,000 foreign military troops is simply the latest in a long history of foreigners trying to impose by military might their own agenda in Afghanistan.
- The Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States
09/02/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing. The United Methodist Church needs to actively work to dismantle cu...
- Speaking Out For Justice
09/01/2011 -- Resolutions on reconciliation, racial justice, climate change and peace make their way to the 2012 General Conference in Tampa, Fla.
- How do we transform the communities in which we live?
08/02/2011 -- The dean of Emory University’s Candler School of Theology talks about conflict transformation and how people can learn to live with conflict.
- Disarming Might, Reconciling Enemies, Loving Resistance
07/08/2011 -- What lessons might we in churches learn about the task of reconciliation from these recent popular uprisings? Reconciliation takes place from the bottom up.
- Monitoring News Coverage of Religion in Mainstream News Media
06/13/2011 -- We are inviting you to monitor how mainstream media cover religion.
- Truth-Telling and the Confrontation of the Other
05/17/2011 -- In telling the truth and confronting the other, boundaries of status are shattered, borders of exclusion are transcended, harms woven into the fabric of one anothers histories are acknowledged, crowds are fed, and those not typically seen and heard are he...
- Learn About United Methodist Church Policy on Immigration
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women's work for immigrant and civil rights is based on United Methodist policy as affirmed by General Conference in 2008.
- Let Us Pray
04/15/2011 -- We live in a world where things can be shaken.
- God's Glory Shines Through You
04/10/2011 -- When we have those moments of "little faith" it is important to reflect and do some soul searching to find out why we are where we are in life.
- Be Fierce and Unrelenting in Your Pursuit of Righteousness
04/08/2011 -- Ezekiel calls us not to be more fierce in our judgment of others but to be fierce and unrelenting in our pursuit of righteousness.
- Take Your Blinders Off!
04/05/2011 -- It was not until God opened my eyes to observe the world around me and opened my ears to listen to those with life experiences different from my own that I began to truly understand the suffering of poor people in the United States and across the globe.
- Come Out From Behind the Stained Glass Window
04/04/2011 -- Gracious God, help us, as Easter people, walk the streets of our towns and cities where we may meet justice that is "standing afar off." No more stained-glass masquerade—only a humble walk of justice with our fellow human beings.
- Don't Just Give Up, Look In
04/03/2011 -- This lent year instead of "giving up," let us look in. Let us replace giving up with something more befitting with deeper meaning.
- Out of the Darkness Comes Greater Light
04/02/2011 -- Any journey requires a light to show us the way.
- Lent—An Invitation to Grow Closer to Christ
04/01/2011 -- Lent is an important season in my life. It helps shed light on what I think about Jesus Christ, his sacrifice on Calvary for the sins of humanity, the end of his earthly ministry, the tragedy that led to his death, and his supreme anguish on the cross.
- A People’s Cathedral in Wisconsin
04/01/2011 -- A United Methodist reports from the struggle for worker’s rights in Madison, Wisc.
- Missing the Point
03/31/2011 -- Often we rush into actions then think after we are confronted with the consequences. Saul, a God-chosen leader was dwelling in God's favor but lost touch with his purpose of mission and fell out of God's favor in the end.
- A New Heart and a New Spirit
03/23/2011 -- In this time of Lent, we prepare ourselves for the deepest transformation we can go through as human being or institutions: getting a new heart and new spirit that we may have the fruits of the tree in abundance so nobody will go hungry anymore in our glo...
- A Child's Eye View
03/21/2011 -- During this Lenten season, help us to see the world through the eyes and hearts of children.
- Speak Up/Speak Out for Justice
03/18/2011 -- Today's reading shows how we can find hope for the future by looking to our past relationship with God and others.
- Give Yourself
03/12/2011 -- During this Lenten season, may each of us examine the condition of our own hearts, humbly seek God's mercy, and shower mercy on others through the giving of ourselves to help meet their needs.
- Community Gardens
03/01/2011 -- Creating or maintaining a community garden is a vital, new mission opportunity for United Methodist Women.
- Interviews with Women from "Voices from the Frontlines"
10/28/2010 -- United Methodist Women spoke to about what would make implementation of UNSCR 1325 effective and how women of faith can implement peace around the world.
- The Power of Words: Curses, Blessings and Interfaith Dialogue
09/30/2010 -- Engaging in interfaith dialogue is a way to follow Paul’s guidance and to bless those who are different from us, those who threaten us and even those who we feel persecute us (and be blessed by them in return).
- A Response to the United States Health Care Reform Legislation
01/07/2010 -- Recent legislation passed by both houses of Congress put forth attempts at broadening access to health insurance, but both bills are troublesome in the way they address the most vulnerable among us.
- Love and Faith Make for Healing and Praise
03/25/2006 -- Love and Faith Make for Healing and Praise
Return to the original article.