We found 65 additional articles filed under Book. They're listed below, most recent first.
- Revisiting the Rev. King’s Call to Action in His “Beyond Vietnam” Speech
01/15/2013 -- Reflecting on passages from his “Beyond Vietnam” speech reveals Dr. King’s words as enduringly prophetic and persistent.
- How Will Recent Changes to United Methodist Women Affect Local Women?
12/01/2012 -- The 2012 General Conference allowed United Methodist Women to separate from the General Board of Global Ministries and become an official independent organization within the United Methodist Church. Since then, many members have been inquiring about how t...
- Violence in Gaza: What United Methodist Women Supports in Israel-Palestine
11/29/2012 -- We grieve over this and call on United Methodist women to keep the conflict in your prayers and thoughts. United Methodist Women supports many projects in Israel-Palestine.
- Hershey's Fair Trade
11/01/2012 -- United Methodist voices help persuade chocolate company to address child labor.
- Preparing for Our Journey
09/17/2012 -- This program is a translation of the December program from the 2012-2013 Korean Program Book. It reflects on what it means to be an immigrant in the world.
- Is this your mother’s UMW?
06/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women starts a new chapter of its 143-year-old existence as a mission movement for women within The United Methodist Church.
- Now For Something Completely Different
05/18/2012 -- I left Tampa on May 5 with hope bubbling up in my thoughts about possible structures for The United Methodist Church. Here’s what I saw.
- General Conference Approves New Resolution on Peace in Afghanistan
05/02/2012 -- United Methodist Women proposed the resolution, “Seeking Peace in Afghanistan,” which passed at General Conference with amendments, and calls for The United Methodist Church to support an end to war and seek a process of peace in Afghanistan.
- General Conference Approves United Methodist Women Autonomy
05/01/2012 -- By a vote of 889 to 20, General Conference made United Methodist Women an autonomous organization within the United Methodist Church May 1 during its quadrennial meeting Tampa, Fla. The historic vote separates the national policymaking body of women organ...
- Women, Youth, Race Monitoring Agencies Host Joint Pre-GC Briefing
04/24/2012 -- More than 500 people packed a ballroom of the Tampa Convention Center in Florida for a pre-conference briefing for delegates to the 2012 General Conference of the United Methodist Church, April 24.
- Marva Usher-Kerr: Profile of a General Conference Delegate On the Move
04/22/2012 -- “Are we going to deal with surface issues? Or are we going to deal with racism, classism, ageism? Are we going to deal with poverty?” Marva Usher-Kerr of Women’s Division prays that important mission issues remain in focus.
- Cutting-Edge Ministries and Commissioning of Deaconesses and Home Missioners
04/17/2012 -- These women and men follow Jesus in ministering to those in the "margins of society." You can watch the April 29th service of commissioning online.
- Responsively Yours: Women and Children First
04/01/2012 -- Experience from economic development work around the world shows that when women are healthy and have access to employment and education, they invest in the health of the children and the community.
- Someone's Praying, Lord
03/27/2012 -- Ask God to give wisdom to the delegates to make decisions that will lift up the presence of the church as an effective witness in the world.
- Finding Our Self: United Methodist Women in the Next Quadrennium
03/20/2012 -- At the spring 2012 Women’s Division board meeting, Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson asks United Methodist Women to define itself as an organization that is part of the body of Christ.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- United Methodist Women: Amend Discipline Paragraph 256.5
12/09/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall be organized in every local church.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Conference: Amend Discipline Paragraph 647
12/08/2011 -- In each annual conference there shall be a conference organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the jurisdiction and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Jurisdiction: Amend Discipline Paragraph 536
12/08/2011 -- In each jurisdiction there shall be a jurisdiction organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the national organization of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.1
12/07/2011 -- There shall be in The United Methodist Church the Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the District: Amend Discipline Paragraph 669
12/07/2011 -- In each district there shall be a district organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the conference and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.5
12/06/2011 -- Delete ¶ 1314.6.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.4
12/06/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner shall hold church membership in a local church within the conference where her/his appointment is located and shall be a voting member of the charge conference of that church.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraphs 1314.2, 1314.3, 1314.7
12/06/2011 -- Deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, are professionally trained persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christlike service under the authority of the Church.
- Supporting the Work of Deaconesses and Home Missioners: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1317
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization shall retain staff whose primary assignment is to represent deaconesses and home missioners on a national level and to maintain a community of professionally competent persons who are committed to service und...
- Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1316
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization will organize the Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.9
12/05/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner may request a leave of absence according to the administrative guidelines and procedures of United Methodist Women.
- Responsibilities: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1319
12/04/2011 -- Multiple changes and improvements to text.
- Women’s Division: New paragraph before Discipline Paragraph 1318
12/04/2011 -- There shall be an organization called United Methodist Women in The United Methodist Church in the United States, organized at the local church, district, conference, jurisdiction and national levels.
- Structure: Delete Discipline Paragraph 1322
12/03/2011 -- Not needed due to proposed revisions of ¶ 1321.
- Organization: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1321
12/03/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women may elect an executive committee of such membership as it may determine, which shall exercise the powers of the board ad interim.
- Take a Walk with Christ
10/01/2011 -- As United Methodist Women members we are the body of Christ. Look at the others seated here. Do we all look the same? Do we have similar attitudes? Do we have identical viewpoints? But when we come together in the sisterhood of grace, we become the bod...
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate
09/02/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan
09/02/2011 -- For Afghans, the current war involving more than 100,000 foreign military troops is simply the latest in a long history of foreigners trying to impose by military might their own agenda in Afghanistan.
- The Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States
09/02/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing. The United Methodist Church needs to actively work to dismantle cu...
- Speaking Out For Justice
09/01/2011 -- Resolutions on reconciliation, racial justice, climate change and peace make their way to the 2012 General Conference in Tampa, Fla.
- La Travesía Hacia la Plenitud
08/02/2011 -- ¡Bienvenidas al nuevo Libro de Programa de 2011-2012, La travesía Hacia la Plenitud”!
- Disarming Might, Reconciling Enemies, Loving Resistance
07/08/2011 -- What lessons might we in churches learn about the task of reconciliation from these recent popular uprisings? Reconciliation takes place from the bottom up.
- Introduction to 'The Journey'
05/25/2011 -- Glory Dharmaraj introduces 'The Journey' web supplement.
- Restorative Justice: Moving Beyond Punishment
05/24/2011 -- This mission study from 2002 is a response to the call of The United Methodist Church to focus upon Restorative Justice ministries in light of the prison-industrial complex, and offers a vision of restoration and healing over isolation and punishment.
- The Journey of Reconciliation
05/17/2011 -- What does the journey of reconciliation look like?
- Truth-Telling and the Confrontation of the Other
05/17/2011 -- In telling the truth and confronting the other, boundaries of status are shattered, borders of exclusion are transcended, harms woven into the fabric of one anothers histories are acknowledged, crowds are fed, and those not typically seen and heard are he...
- The Importance of Grieving and Facing Our Fears in Journey of Reconciliation
05/17/2011 -- Why is grieving so important? Not grieving the trauma often pushes it deep in our psyche where we medicate it with, for example, drugs or alcohol.
- The Journey of Forgiveness, Rehumanizing the Other and the Choice to Forgive
05/17/2011 -- We look more closely at the importance of the other’s story, the one who has harmed, and the power of rehumanizing the other and the gift of forgiveness.
- Reconciled with God and our Neighbors
05/16/2011 -- We have reconciliation with Jesus Christ--we are right before God.
- Truth and Reconciliation
05/16/2011 -- Nelson Mandela organized the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which would be the organization to work systemically to heal the country after Apartheid and bring about a new future for South Africa.
- The United Methodist Church Seeks Forgiveness
05/16/2011 -- In 2005, the annual conferences of The United Methodist Church focused on confession and healing in the area of racism in the church.
- Bible Snapshots of Forgiveness
05/16/2011 -- Broken, forgiven, reconciled. This is the recurring theme throughout the stories of the Scriptures.
- Learn About United Methodist Church Policy on Immigration
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women's work for immigrant and civil rights is based on United Methodist policy as affirmed by General Conference in 2008.
- "Walk with Wholeness" Available in June!
04/15/2011 -- Your United Methodist Women's group will want to be among the first to experience transformative faith, hope, love in action through "Walk with Wholeness"-- the all-new Program Book for 2011-2012.
- A People’s Cathedral in Wisconsin
04/01/2011 -- A United Methodist reports from the struggle for worker’s rights in Madison, Wisc.
- Believe Out Loud
02/28/2011 -- We affirm our belief in the inestimable worth of each individual because we are human beings created by God and loved through and by Jesus Christ, and we affirm all persons as equally valuable in the sight of God.
- Commitment for Leading Together
02/17/2011 -- Read and use an installation service from the 2010 Program Book, "Let's Get Together."
- Restorative Justice
02/16/2011 -- The goal of this program is to introduce the concept of restorative justice to women and expand on Biblical examples of restorative justice relevant to our world today.
- 100 Years of World Thank Offerings
01/26/2011 -- Does your program planning include a Thank Offering Sunday or celebration in your church? November is a favorite time for such a service, but any month is appropriate to share and care about missions in this special way.
- 60-Second Commercials for United Methodist Women Resources
01/26/2011 -- 60-second commercials were first introduced at the National Gathering of Young Women, St. Charles, Ill., December 2000. They can be incorporated into a program or event to introduce people to different resources of United Methodist Women organized for mis...
- An Open Mind Frees the Spirit
01/26/2011 -- First written in 1998, this program introduces Reading Program books from that year. The program could be adapted using current titles.
- Family Roots
10/01/2010 -- Author Thomas DeWolf shares lessons from a life-changing journey into the history of his family, his country and the transatlantic slave trade in Inheriting the Trade, a 2011 United Methodist Women Reading Program book.
- The Power of Words: Curses, Blessings and Interfaith Dialogue
09/30/2010 -- Engaging in interfaith dialogue is a way to follow Paul’s guidance and to bless those who are different from us, those who threaten us and even those who we feel persecute us (and be blessed by them in return).
- Voices of Native American Women
09/07/2010 -- Read an excerpt of three topics highlighted from 'Voices of Native American Women,' a new resource from the Women's Division and now available at the Mission Resource Center.
- Reading Program Book List for 2011
09/02/2010 -- View and purchase the Reading Program book list for 2011 for all categories and languages.
- Resurrection Women Leader's and Participant's Manual Now Available
08/25/2010 -- Resurrection Women, a retreat for United Methodist Women, is now available for PDF download from the Mission Resource Center.
- A Separate Peace
06/18/2010 -- Lisa Shannon shares about her journey to the worst place on earth to be a woman in A Thousand Sisters. She shares a chapter of her book with Response.
- A Response to the United States Health Care Reform Legislation
01/07/2010 -- Recent legislation passed by both houses of Congress put forth attempts at broadening access to health insurance, but both bills are troublesome in the way they address the most vulnerable among us.
Return to the original article.