We found 216 additional articles filed under General. They're listed below, most recent first.
- Being Bearers of Palms of Peace and Praise in the Midst of Needs and Conflicts
03/15/2013 -- We can wave palms of peace and praise because we have hope that the worst things are never the last things. As Jesus made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem on the day we celebrate as Palm Sunday, he knew that the week ahead would be physically, emotional...
- Exploring the Intersections: Maternal Health & Domestic Violence Webinar
03/15/2013 -- Wednesday, April 03, 2013; 3:00 -4:00 PM Eastern.
- How Will Recent Changes to United Methodist Women Affect Local Women?
12/01/2012 -- The 2012 General Conference allowed United Methodist Women to separate from the General Board of Global Ministries and become an official independent organization within the United Methodist Church. Since then, many members have been inquiring about how t...
- African American Leaders Fight HIV/AIDS
11/30/2012 -- World AIDS Day is this Saturday, December 1. Sharing stories like McKie’s is one way that we honor the struggles of people who are affected by this epidemic. It also shows the evolving face of the disease.
- A Circle of Thanksgiving
11/01/2012 -- What does the national Thanksgving holiday mean for Native American peoples?
- United Methodist Women Officially an Agency of The United Methodist Church
10/01/2012 -- United Methodist Women continues in a 140-year tradition of turning faith, hope and love into action on behalf of women, children and youth around the world.
- Perspectives on General Conference: on gcsrw.org
10/01/2012 -- Leanne Nakanishi, California-Pacific Conference United Methodist Women’s president, and general secretary/CEO Harriett Jane Olson are featured in the Sptember/October 2012 edition of The Flyer.
- 10-Fold. 1 Click. Be Counted.
09/24/2012 -- Are you looking for resources to help you make a difference in the world? This October, with a click of your mouse, you can become an advocate for mission! On October 1, 10-Fold returns for a month-long celebration of five exciting projects, each highligh...
- United Methodist Women Hosts Public Forum on Peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
09/24/2012 -- “Raging War, Waging Peace—Achieving Justice in the Democratic Republic of the Congo” was co-sponsored by the General Board of Church and Society’s U.N. and International Affairs Office, Global Policy Forum, Mennonite Central Committee–U.N. Office, Presbyt...
- A Life in Mission
09/01/2012 -- At 92, Mary Ellen Owen has lived a lot of history -- and she's still committed to Christian mission through United Methodist Women.
- Program Advisory Group Added to Lead United Methodist Women
07/25/2012 -- As United Methodist Women celebrate nominees to their board of directors, they also welcome nominees of the new entity: the Program Advisory Group.
- United Methodist Women Announces 2013-2016 Board of Directors
07/16/2012 -- United Methodist Women's outgoing leadership is offering an enthusiastic welcome of new elected leadership for the 2013-2016 Board of Directors.
- Is This Your Mother's UMW?
07/02/2012 -- On May 1, the 2012 United Methodist General Conference approved legislation to separate UMW and its administrative body, the Women’s Division, from the Board of Global Ministries, to which it had been related for decades.
- Turning Girls on to Mission In Columbia, S.C.
07/01/2012 -- A youth circle at Washington Street United Methodist Church in Columbia, S.C., is learning by doing mission through United Methodist Women.
- Responsively Yours: What Can You Imagine?
07/01/2012 -- Structural configurations alone will not make us the multigenerational, multicultural, multilingual, multiracial, Spirit-filled organization that we want to be. But if we imagine it and build it and work toward it, I believe that God will bless our effort...
- An Act of Repentance
07/01/2012 -- Delegates to General Conference 2012 used United Methodist Women resources to prepare for a service of atonement for a 1864 massacre native Americans; beyond repentance for past wrongs in the US, the service denounced modern-day genocidal policies and act...
- Cordialmente Suya: ¿Qué Podríamos Imaginar?
07/01/2012 -- ¡La Conferencia General de 2012 ha lanzado a las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas a un nuevo futuro! La propuesta conjunta de la División de Mujeres y la Junta General de Ministerios Globales se recibió con tanto apoyo que el primero de mayo fue aprobada abrumad...
- Korean PDF - Responsively Yours: What Can You Imagine?
07/01/2012 -- Korean version of the monthly installment by Harriett Jane Olson. Structural configurations alone will not make us the multigenerational, multicultural, multilingual, multiracial, Spirit-filled organization that we want to be.
- Is this your mother’s UMW?
06/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women starts a new chapter of its 143-year-old existence as a mission movement for women within The United Methodist Church.
- Now For Something Completely Different
05/18/2012 -- I left Tampa on May 5 with hope bubbling up in my thoughts about possible structures for The United Methodist Church. Here’s what I saw.
- Get Involved With Your Conference Rapid Response Team
05/10/2012 -- The United Methodist Rapid Response Team mobilizes congregations to welcome immigrants and to advocate for just and humane immigration reform at the state and federal level.
- United Methodist Women and the Display That Wasn’t
05/03/2012 -- United Methodist Women didn’t have an exhibit at General Conference. Instead, they roped off their display area and set off on a flurry of learning and mission opportunities around Tampa, where General Conference is being held.
- General Conference Approves New Resolution on Peace in Afghanistan
05/02/2012 -- United Methodist Women proposed the resolution, “Seeking Peace in Afghanistan,” which passed at General Conference with amendments, and calls for The United Methodist Church to support an end to war and seek a process of peace in Afghanistan.
- Q & A with Cathy Capo Stone: Remember the Children Living in Poverty
05/01/2012 -- As adults discuss and make policy for The United Methodist Church, Ms. Cathy Capo Stone, executive director at Cornerstone Family Ministries, reminds us to not forget the impact of church work on inner-city children whom she cares for every day. Cornersto...
- General Conference Approves United Methodist Women Autonomy
05/01/2012 -- By a vote of 889 to 20, General Conference made United Methodist Women an autonomous organization within the United Methodist Church May 1 during its quadrennial meeting Tampa, Fla. The historic vote separates the national policymaking body of women organ...
- United Methodists Celebrate and Commission 40 New Deaconesses, Home Missioners and Missionaries
04/30/2012 -- A firefighter, a nursing supervisor, a counselor for ex-prisoners, an advocate for Haitian artists, an afterschool chess teacher, and a coordinator of relief volunteers – these were among the 17 new deaconesses and home missioners commissioned on Sund...
- Craft Sales Support Mission in Zimbabwe
04/28/2012 -- Handcrafted gifts by Zimbabwe women sold at General Conference benefit Nyamacheni Mission School, a 2011 United Methodist Women Call to Prayer and Denial grant recipient.
- United Methodist Women Day
04/28/2012 -- Women organized for mission gathered for sisterhood and rallied for immigrants and an end to private prisons April 28, United Methodist Women Day at General Conference.
- Rally Highlights Private Prison Detention
04/28/2012 -- Coinciding with a rally to end the private prison industry’s increased detention-for-profit policies, United Methodist Women members descended on General Conference to declare Saturday, April 28, 2012 “United Methodist Women Day.”
- “Signs” of Life in Lay Ministries
04/27/2012 -- Mary E. Harris of Conway UMC in Orlando, Angela Liston of Morrison UMC in Leesburg, FL, Michelle Menefee of First UMC in Houston, TX, and Betty Ostrom of Pine Castle UMC in Orlando are laywomen composing the team of ASL interpreters for the 2012 General C...
- The Intersections of United Methodist Women and UMCOR
04/27/2012 -- A United Methodist Women MeetUp on Thursday, April 25 during General Conference highlighted the connectional ministries of United Methodist Women and the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
- The Theology of Glee: A General Conference “Gleetup”
04/26/2012 -- “Glee lifts up spiritual and theological questions, good and bad.” Rev. Becca Clark, clergywoman and a delegate from New England Conference led this MeetUp (one of sevaral to come) of United Methodist Women.
- End-of-Day Prayer Meetup, April 25
04/26/2012 -- Every day at General Conference, United Methodist Women is organizing end-of-day prayer gatherings for all–delegates, agency and conference staff, clergy, laity and visitors alike–to center themselves amidst the hectic schedules and grueling meetings requ...
- Rest for the Weary: United Methodist Women and Deaconesses Provide Room for Prayer
04/25/2012 -- A quiet space amid the bustle of General Conference is open to all the weary United Methodist delegates and guests looking for sanctuary and peace.
- Women, Youth, Race Monitoring Agencies Host Joint Pre-GC Briefing
04/24/2012 -- More than 500 people packed a ballroom of the Tampa Convention Center in Florida for a pre-conference briefing for delegates to the 2012 General Conference of the United Methodist Church, April 24.
- End-of-Day Prayer Meetup, April 24
04/24/2012 -- Thank you for this day, God. Thank you for the new day we will open our eyes to in the morning. Amen.
- Watch General Conference Events Live Online
04/23/2012 -- GC2012.umc.org will live-stream video of all plenary sessions, morning prayer and evening worship services, the Episcopal Address, Laity Address, Young People’s Address, Act of Repentance and other highlights.
- Marva Usher-Kerr: Profile of a General Conference Delegate On the Move
04/22/2012 -- “Are we going to deal with surface issues? Or are we going to deal with racism, classism, ageism? Are we going to deal with poverty?” Marva Usher-Kerr of Women’s Division prays that important mission issues remain in focus.
- Nebraska United Methodist Women Bring People Together for Immigration Seminar
04/22/2012 -- The Nebraska Conference and the United Methodist Seminar Program collaborated to host representatives from National Mission Institutions, a deaconess, students from Nebraska Wesleyan and even one Lutheran as well as United Methodist Women from across the...
- United Methodist Women in Ministry With Poor at General Conference
04/20/2012 -- United Methodist Women will participate in "Breaking Bread with Tampa," which is serving free lunches to the homeless during General Conference 2012.
- Tampa Event Geared to Immigrant Detention
04/18/2012 -- “Profit From Pain Is Inhumane! Dignity Not Detention” will be theme of a rally during General Conference 2012.
- Cutting-Edge Ministries and Commissioning of Deaconesses and Home Missioners
04/17/2012 -- These women and men follow Jesus in ministering to those in the "margins of society." You can watch the April 29th service of commissioning online.
- Sending Prayer Mantles to General Conference: on umcnic.org
04/11/2012 -- Northern Illinois Conference web article: In March, United Methodist Women members from across Northern Illinois Conference created prayer mantles for delegates ahead of General Conference in Tampa, Fla., April 24-May 4, 2012.
- Selena Smith, Firefighter, to Be Commissioned a Deaconess at General Conference
04/11/2012 -- She’s young, she’s a firefighter and she’s about to be the first South Carolina woman in years to be commissioned as a United Methodist deaconess during General Conference.
- We Belong Together in Alabama
04/10/2012 -- Ruth Ann Powers, educator and leader in United Methodist Women, was among the 17 U.S. leaders at the We Belong Together roundtable in March who denounced HB 56, Alabama’s 2011 anti-immigrant legislation.
- Resurrection Hope: Still Possible Today
04/08/2012 -- The story of Holy Week is a mix of conversations between the closest of companions and the “wide angle” pageantry of festival season in Jerusalem. What do we make of the story’s ending?
- They Will Know We Are Christians by Our Love
04/05/2012 -- We are to love others based on Jesus’ sacrificial love for us. Such love will not only bring unbelievers to Christ; it will also keep believers strong and united.
- Thomas Kemper Gives Remarks to 2009-2012 Women’s Division Directors
04/02/2012 -- The General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministries, Thomas Kemper, gave closing remarks on the legacy of directors at their final meeting of the 2009-2012 quadrennium, the Semi-Annual board meeting in Plano, Tex., March 15-19, 2012.
- Profile of a Deaconess: Amanda Mountain
04/02/2012 -- Amanda Mountain was one of 12 deaconesses and one home missioner commissioned at the Women’s Division Assembly in 2010. Ms. Mountain is looking forward to standing with the 15 deaconess and 2 home missioners who will be commissioned during the 2012 Genera...
- Responsively Yours: Women and Children First
04/01/2012 -- Experience from economic development work around the world shows that when women are healthy and have access to employment and education, they invest in the health of the children and the community.
- Spring 2012 Board Meeting: flickr photo gallery
03/28/2012 -- Photos of the Board meeting, quadrennial celebration and more from Plano, Texas.
- Someone's Praying, Lord
03/27/2012 -- Ask God to give wisdom to the delegates to make decisions that will lift up the presence of the church as an effective witness in the world.
- Carbon Footprint Toolkit
03/26/2012 -- Find out what you can do in your home, your church, your community and your annual conference to help stop climate change.
- Give Yourself Away
03/25/2012 -- Are we truly followers of the Christ or are we simply admirers of Jesus?
- At Last Meeting of the Quadrennium, Women’s Division Directors Set Mission Budget, Welcome New Staff
03/21/2012 -- For many directors, the semiannual Women’s Division board of directors meeting in Plano, Texas, would be their last, as they served the maximum of their full two terms of eight years. Yet there was ample time for this configuration of directors to celebra...
- Finding Our Self: United Methodist Women in the Next Quadrennium
03/20/2012 -- At the spring 2012 Women’s Division board meeting, Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson asks United Methodist Women to define itself as an organization that is part of the body of Christ.
- Treasurer's Report: Many Gifts, One Spirit
03/19/2012 -- Treasurer Martha Knight described the impact the Women’s Division board of directors’ budgetary approvals throughout the 2009-2012 quadrennium had on individuals, communities and organizations around the world.
- Opening Our Eyes and Hearts to the Needs and Gifts of Women, Children and Youth
03/18/2012 -- At the spring 2012 board of directors meeting, Inelda González, president of the Women’s Division, celebrated the past four years of work and service of the board of directors on behalf of United Methodist Women.
- Why is it Important to Reduce our Carbon Footprint?
03/16/2012 -- God has given humans responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s stewards. The Bible’s message, however, goes beyond just calling us to manage natural resources wisely.
- How Can I Measure My Carbon Footprint?
03/16/2012 -- Free and easy tools can help individuals and organizations be greener.
- What Can I Do at Home?
03/16/2012 -- Know your footprint and work to lower it. Involve those you live with in making and implementing the plan.
- What Can I Do in My Local Church?
03/16/2012 -- Who is currently responsible for making decisions about your building and grounds? What policies currently exist at your church about environmental stewardship? Does your church already have a Green Team?
- What Can I Do in My Community?
03/16/2012 -- Many exciting initiatives related to addressing climate change and lowering greenhouse gas emissions are happening in cities and towns across the United States.
- What Can I Do as Part of My Annual Conference?
03/16/2012 -- Several United Methodist camp and conference center directors are helping lead the way in our denomination related to lowering greenhouse gas emissions and demonstrating other forms of Creation Care.
- It’s Time to Overturn the Tables
03/11/2012 -- In a Sunday school class I was in years ago we were asked, “Is anger a sin?” The incident described in John 2:13-22, in which Jesus turns over the tables of the moneychangers and those selling goods in the temple, is one of the most often cited examples o...
- Ubuntu Explorers Trip to Sierra Leone
03/09/2012 -- The Sierra Leone community of United Methodist Women is concerned about the needs of women, children and youth that impact life for all in Africa. We invite you to join United Methodist Women on the Ubuntu Journey to Sierra Leone, December 1-14, 201...
- Responsively Yours: First Hit Pause
03/09/2012 -- As we approach General Conference, how many of the concerns or fears impelling us to certain points of view are based on analyses that fit the past better than the present?
- Beyond Labels
03/09/2012 -- Seeking open dialogue and community in a divided world.
- The Secret
03/09/2012 -- The Church has a powerful role to play in destigmatizing substance abuse and supporting individuals and families facing addiction.
- Korean PDF - Responsively Yours: First Hit Pause
03/01/2012 -- Korean version of the monthly installment by Harriett Jane Olson.
- Cordialmente Suya: Primero Piense Pausadamente
03/01/2012 -- Nos esforzamos por recibir con corazones abiertos el movimiento del Espíritu Santo.
- Can a Rainbow Come in the Clouds Without an Ark First?
02/26/2012 -- The last time I saw a bow in the clouds, colorful like a rainbow, was this past January. I was in São Paulo, Brazil, and a summer shower came over us in the streets. Then came the sun. Behind the buildings, there it was: a rainbow.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- World Day of Prayer: Creating a World of Justice and Community
02/21/2012 -- The World Day of Prayer service on March 2, 2012, will be guided by women of Malaysia who have prepared and provided the worship, titled “Let Justice Prevail.”
- Coming to Terms With God
02/16/2012 -- Time and change are each the other’s measure. A life span may be two millennia for a sequoia tree or a day for a mayfly. But it is still one life.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- Ubuntu Explorers Trip to the Philippines
02/13/2012 -- Apply now to join Ubuntu Explorers to the Philippines, September 2-14, 2012.
- Women's Division Statement to the Fifty-sixth Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
01/24/2012 -- Statement submitted by The United Methodist Church General Board of Global Ministries, Women’s Division, a nongovernmental organization in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council to the Fifty-sixth session of the Commission on the Stat...
- Budget 2012 Presents Faith as an Action
01/12/2012 -- Budget 2012 is a reflection of the faith and faithfulness of United Methodist Women, which will strengthen current areas of programming while preparing for a new quadrennium.
- Reflecting on a Heroic Prophet: The Unfinished Work of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
01/12/2012 -- True heroes make us better by challenging our misplaced priorities, expanding our vision of a better world, and inspiring us to pursue the vision. Martin Luther King did that for a generation and contintues to inspire long after his death.
- Not Without Hope: Healed and Free
01/06/2012 -- All she wanted was a good paying job. Instead, Anna (not her real name), from Yerevan, Armenia, ended up working for her captors and enduring a traumatic five-month ordeal of forced prostitution in Dubai.
- United Methodist Women: Amend Discipline Paragraph 256.5
12/09/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall be organized in every local church.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Conference: Amend Discipline Paragraph 647
12/08/2011 -- In each annual conference there shall be a conference organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the jurisdiction and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Jurisdiction: Amend Discipline Paragraph 536
12/08/2011 -- In each jurisdiction there shall be a jurisdiction organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the national organization of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.1
12/07/2011 -- There shall be in The United Methodist Church the Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the District: Amend Discipline Paragraph 669
12/07/2011 -- In each district there shall be a district organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the conference and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.5
12/06/2011 -- Delete ¶ 1314.6.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.4
12/06/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner shall hold church membership in a local church within the conference where her/his appointment is located and shall be a voting member of the charge conference of that church.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraphs 1314.2, 1314.3, 1314.7
12/06/2011 -- Deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, are professionally trained persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christlike service under the authority of the Church.
- Supporting the Work of Deaconesses and Home Missioners: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1317
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization shall retain staff whose primary assignment is to represent deaconesses and home missioners on a national level and to maintain a community of professionally competent persons who are committed to service und...
- Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1316
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization will organize the Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.9
12/05/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner may request a leave of absence according to the administrative guidelines and procedures of United Methodist Women.
- Responsibilities: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1319
12/04/2011 -- Multiple changes and improvements to text.
- Women’s Division: New paragraph before Discipline Paragraph 1318
12/04/2011 -- There shall be an organization called United Methodist Women in The United Methodist Church in the United States, organized at the local church, district, conference, jurisdiction and national levels.
- Structure: Delete Discipline Paragraph 1322
12/03/2011 -- Not needed due to proposed revisions of ¶ 1321.
- Organization: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1321
12/03/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women may elect an executive committee of such membership as it may determine, which shall exercise the powers of the board ad interim.
- Authority: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1320
12/03/2011 -- The Board of Directors of United Methodist Women shall meet at least annually and at such other times as it may deem necessary.
- Membership of the Board of Directors: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1325
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall have a board of directors composed of 25 members as follows: 20 shall be laywomen elected by the jurisdiction organizations of United Methodist Women at quadrennial meetings (¶ 536.4); and five shall be laywomen elected by the...
- United Methodist Women Program Advisory Group: Add after Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall organize a Program Advisory Group to provide input at regular intervals to the board of directors about the program and planning of the organization.
- Finances: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- The funds for the fulfillment of the responsibilities of United Methodist Women shall be derived from annual voluntary pledges, offerings, gifts, devises, bequests, annuities, or money received through special emphases and meetings held in the interest of...
- Assembly: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1323
12/02/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women shall determine the time and place of meeting and the purpose of the Assembly.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey. The Lord looked and was displeased that there was no justice. G...
- Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing.
- Caring for God’s Creation: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- God has given humankind responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s steward.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit says the Lord of hosts. —Zechariah 4:6
- United Methodist Delegation to Attend Migrant Rights Convention in Geneva, Switzerland
11/17/2011 -- A General Board of Global Ministries delegation will attend the People’s Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland, November 28–December 2, 2011.
- United Methodist Mission Delegation to Attend Global Events on Migration, Development and Human Rights
11/15/2011 -- Global Ministries, including United Methodist Women, has organized a delegation highly representative of areas where The United Methodist Church and its mission partners are challenged by migration issues.
- Trafficking Survivor Rediscovers a World of Beauty
11/10/2011 -- Mariam* was just 15 years old when her parents married her to a man 20 years her senior. She worked day and night, a servant to her husband’s extended family, and was not allowed to sleep until her husband came home. He was connected to a world of crime a...
11/04/2011 -- United Methodists call for education and dialogue on a popular technique for natural gas drilling.
- Rooted in Justice
11/04/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s work for peace and justice has 140-year-old roots.
- Members Continue Dedicated Giving
10/14/2011 -- As the Women’s Division studies funds endowed to United Methodist Women over the last 140 years, Treasurer Martha Knight asked directors to imagine what future members would say about their lasting legacy.
- United Methodist Women Sunday: Example Service
10/12/2011 -- Prepared by the East Ohio Conference United Methodist Women leadership, this UMW Sunday order of service can be adapted to suit the context and needs of any local UMW organization.
- United Methodist Women Board of Directors Meeting: October 2011
10/11/2011 -- Photos from fall board meeting held October 7-10, 2011 in New York at the Interchurch Center and the Church Center for the United Nations.
- Women, War & Peace
10/11/2011 -- Join United Methodist Women members around the country in watching this important series that highlights the importance of women’s voices in conflict and the necessity of ending war if we are to ever live in the world of peace God intended for us.
- Report of the Deputy General Secretary
10/10/2011 -- On Friday October 7, Women’s Division Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson addressed the Women’s Division board of directors at their annual fall meeting. With the message “Shaping the Future,” Ms. Olson spoke of how the current work of United Met...
- Women's Division Annual Report: 2010 (PDF)
10/07/2011 -- Thinking About the Next 100 Years: Shaping Faith, Hope and Love into Action.
- Responsively Yours: Acting Like Hope
10/05/2011 -- Imagine the United Methodist Church as an influential voice in the local community and the world, inviting change, restoration, healing and a deep Christian spiritual formation that sustains us in addressing injustice and brokenness in the world.
- Criminalization of Communities of Color
10/05/2011 -- Racial disparities in the nation's legal system continue to challenge fairness and equal justice.
- Poverty Issue Study Overview
10/03/2011 -- Participants in the study will engage in deepening their understanding of the realities of poverty and be invited to commit to solidarity with the poor through accompaniment and advocacy.
- Cordialmente Tuya: Esperanza en Acción
10/01/2011 -- "¿Qué es lo que necesitamos hoy en la Iglesia Metodista Unida?", esta fue la pregunta que hizo una líder de un seminario. Como era temprano en la mañana, quizás perdí algo de su presentación, pero parecía que su pregunta reclamaba una respuesta.
- United Methodist Church Follows Jesus' Lead: Immigration Task Force Moves Ministry to the Borders
09/20/2011 -- "Jesus learned new things when he went to the border," said Rev. Edgar Avitia, who led the worship in Florida for US-based missionaries of The United Methodist Church.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate
09/02/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan
09/02/2011 -- For Afghans, the current war involving more than 100,000 foreign military troops is simply the latest in a long history of foreigners trying to impose by military might their own agenda in Afghanistan.
- The Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States
09/02/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing. The United Methodist Church needs to actively work to dismantle cu...
- Caring for God's Creation
09/02/2011 -- God has given humankind responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s steward. (Genesis 2:15) The Bible’s message, however, goes beyond just managing natural resources wisely.
- Life on the Rebound
09/01/2011 -- Emma Norton Services is housed in a brick building quietly tucked into the urban landscape of St. Paul, and the 50 women who live there are somewhere on the road to wholeness.
- Speaking Out For Justice
09/01/2011 -- Resolutions on reconciliation, racial justice, climate change and peace make their way to the 2012 General Conference in Tampa, Fla.
- Susanna Wesley House in Baltimore, Maryland: A Stable Foundation for Personal Growth
09/01/2011 -- This New World Outlook article looks at an institution that serves as transitional housing and so much more.
- Women In Prison
08/25/2011 -- August 26 will mark the 40th anniversary of Women’s Equality Day. We must give urgent attention to the increasing incarceration rate of women offenders.
- United Methodist Women Prepares for National Seminar on Social Justice
08/08/2011 -- Women from across the U.S. will study and act on justice issues at the seminar, “Mission: Reconciliation,” Aug. 13-17 in Birmingham, AL. Bible studies led by Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz will be livestreamed every morning at 8 a.m. EST starting Aug. 14!
- The 56th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
08/04/2011 -- CSW-56 will take place at United Nations Headquarters in New York City from February 27 to March 9, 2012. The theme is “the empowerment of rural women and their role in poverty and hunger eradication, development and current challenge.” This session will ...
- 2011 Global Justice Volunteers Africa Program
07/25/2011 -- From July 3 to July 11, 2011, young people from across Africa gathered together in Nairobi, Kenya, to prepare for their eight-week term as Global Justice Volunteers (GJV).
- Transforming America’s Education
07/19/2011 -- According to U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, the US has a 25 percent school dropout rate. “Where you see those kinds of numbers we are perpetuating poverty and social failure."
- Prayers From Duluth
07/08/2011 -- A newly retired woman finds another home for her faith and mission.
- Disarming Might, Reconciling Enemies, Loving Resistance
07/08/2011 -- What lessons might we in churches learn about the task of reconciliation from these recent popular uprisings? Reconciliation takes place from the bottom up.
- Ubuntu Day of Service Took Kit
07/05/2011 -- Plan a Day of Service! Download the toolkit (PDF, 32 pp) from MinistryWith.org
- Gum Moon Residence Celebrates 100 Years: YouTube Video
06/22/2011 -- This San Francisco mission provides advocacy, programs for children, youth, and families, an emergency and transitional housing and more.
- Responsively Yours: Ready for Our Next 100 Years in Mission
06/20/2011 -- Directors of Women’s Division and Global Ministries have both risen to the moment and approved a new proposal for working together in the future.
- Waging Peace with Prayer and Action
06/13/2011 -- During the summer months of Schools of Christian Mission until International Day of Peace on September 21, 2011, you are invited to participate in Prayers and Actions for Peace as an expression of reconciliation.
- Grace Children's Hospital Providing Health and Hope in Haiti
06/10/2011 -- How one hospital in Haiti survived and thrived since last year's earthquake destroyed other hospitals in the area.
- Farming Uphill in Haiti
06/10/2011 -- For the better part of two centuries, since Haiti gained independence from France in 1804, the indescribably resilient people of rural Haiti have been forced to farm uphill, both literally and figuratively.
- Lois McCullough Dauway to be Honored at the New York City Area Circles of Names Gathering
06/03/2011 -- Lois M. Dauway has a long and storied career of Christian service in the United Methodist Church and the ecumenical arena that showed the Gospel to the world. Ms. Dauway served as Interim Deputy General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministr...
- Haitian Methodist Women and Men Making a Difference
06/02/2011 -- Local Haitians are the unsung heroines and heroes of the earthquake recovery story. Here are portraits of a few Haitians, Methodist sisters and brothers, who in the words of LeGrace Benson, “have been rehearsing and performing this theater since that firs...
- Cordialmente Suya: Preparadas para Nuestros Próximos 100 Años en Misión
06/01/2011 -- ¡Este es un buen momento para ser miembro de las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas!
- Korean/PDF. Responsively Yours: Ready for Our Next 100 Years in Mission
06/01/2011 -- Directors of Women’s Division and Global Ministries have both risen to the moment and approved a new proposal for working together in the future.
- Environmental Justice: Just Words, or Haiti's Key to Capacity?
05/27/2011 -- The 2010 earthquake in Haiti presented humanitarian workers with one of their most complex and difficult emergencies. The response to immediate needs must be accomplished with an eye toward fair and just long-term development. Capacity building must outwe...
- Restorative Justice: Moving Beyond Punishment
05/24/2011 -- This mission study from 2002 is a response to the call of The United Methodist Church to focus upon Restorative Justice ministries in light of the prison-industrial complex, and offers a vision of restoration and healing over isolation and punishment.
- The Day My World Was Turned Upside Down
05/06/2011 -- An update on the recent tornado that devastated Alabama and other parts of the South, from Women's Division director Lynn Hamric.
- Responsively Yours: The Law of Unintended Consequences
05/03/2011 -- Proceeding slowly, led by people of Haiti, is required for an organic and effective recovery to take root and grow.
- With a Little Help From Friends
05/03/2011 -- Haitian Methodist women prepare for their mission task with help from the sisterhood of Methodist women.
- Survivors of Human Trafficking: Not Without Hope
05/02/2011 -- In Armenia, in an ambience of trust and encouragement, residents re-learn the meaning of hope after seemingly endless years of sexual servithude and forced labor.
- Cordialmente Suya: Una Ley con Consecuencias Inesperadas
05/01/2011 -- Recuerdo con mucha claridad lo que aprendí en una clase de antropología de la universidad acerca del impacto que se crea entre un participante y un observador. Mi profesora, que había trabajado por varios años formando y enseñando a leer y escribir a gent...
- Responsively Yours: The Law of Unintended Consequences - Korean
05/01/2011 -- Korean language version of Harriett Olson's monthly column in response.
- UPDATE: The Nation’s Budget: A Reflection of What We Value
04/28/2011 -- Next month the U.S. Congress votes on whether to raise the debt ceiling. Let your representative know that you want the debt ceiling raised to protect important programs.
- Report of the President to the Women’s Division Board of Directors
04/28/2011 -- Inelda González, president of the Women's Division, gave her speech to the board of directors at their Semi-Annual meeting, April 10, 2011 in Stamford, Conn.
- Learn About United Methodist Church Policy on Immigration
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women's work for immigrant and civil rights is based on United Methodist policy as affirmed by General Conference in 2008.
- "Walk with Wholeness" Available in June!
04/15/2011 -- Your United Methodist Women's group will want to be among the first to experience transformative faith, hope, love in action through "Walk with Wholeness"-- the all-new Program Book for 2011-2012.
- FAQs for Women's Division Proposed Structural Separation
04/11/2011 -- Directors of the Women's Division approved a proposal to structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries while continuing to work together in mutual areas of mission.
- Women’s Division Proposes Becoming “Structurally Separate, Missionally Connected” to Global Ministries
04/10/2011 -- The Women’s Division board voted to become structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM) while remaining “missionally connected” in staff configuration and by board directors at its recent meeting, April 7-11 in Stamford, Conn.
- Set apart, lay people vow a life of service
04/08/2011 -- On April 7 10 deaconess candidates, along with one home missioner, were commissioned in the chapel of the Interchurch Center as part of the spring meeting of United Methodist Women.
- Lent—An Invitation to Grow Closer to Christ
04/01/2011 -- Lent is an important season in my life. It helps shed light on what I think about Jesus Christ, his sacrifice on Calvary for the sins of humanity, the end of his earthly ministry, the tragedy that led to his death, and his supreme anguish on the cross.
- Church Agencies Battle Human Trafficking
03/31/2011 -- When Maria, an Armenian citizen, ended up in Dubai, she resisted attempts by her traffickers to force her into prostitution.
- Mission Center in Tokyo Housing Evacuees
03/25/2011 -- The Wesley Center, a Tokyo mission facility related to United Methodist Women, provided short-term housing for evacuees from the hardest hit earthquake and tsunami zones in Japan.
- United Methodist Women Reach out to Japan
03/20/2011 -- United Methodist Women are praying for the Japanese people and for all of the missionaries and mission institutions in the country that was hit by earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown on March 11.
- Mission Agency in Prayer for Japan, Mission Personnel and Volunteers Safe
03/14/2011 -- The United Methodist Church's mission agency expressed deep concern for the people of Japan and its own personnel and partners in that country in the wake of the devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
- Give Yourself
03/12/2011 -- During this Lenten season, may each of us examine the condition of our own hearts, humbly seek God's mercy, and shower mercy on others through the giving of ourselves to help meet their needs.
- The Good Shepherd
02/18/2011 -- You are the ones who have answered " yes " to the call to serve as district officers.
- Bright Lights: Spiritual Growth Through Service
02/01/2011 -- United Methodist Women at Springfield Gardens United Methodist Church in Queens, N.Y., is active in spirit and deed, offering opportunities for personal spiritual growth and supporting projects that meet community material needs. The 100-member unit meets...
- David and Margaret Youth and Family Services: Here's to Another 100 Years!
02/01/2011 -- David and Margaret Youth and Family Services, located in La Verne, California, has been meeting the needs of at-risk children, youth, and families since 1910.
- Ending Human Trafficking, One Life at a Time
01/28/2011 -- Alisa* fell prey to a human trafficker in her hometown in Armenia. She was just 20 years old and the single mother of a nine-month-old baby. The trafficker forced Alisa into prostitution by threatening to kidnap her young child if she did not do as he sai...
- Come and Follow
12/15/2010 -- What does it mean to come and follow? We are all called, set apart, to respond in obedience with the love and grace provided through Jesus Christ.
- Above, Through, In: Our Deep Connection
12/15/2010 -- Our desire to connect with family and friends reaches a peak during Advent and the holiday season.
- Toward the Peaceful Kingdom: A Faith Walk
12/02/2010 -- Kindness matters for creating spaces for a peaceable kingdom to take root in our hearts, in our work places and in our communities.
- Hope in the Midst of Struggle
12/02/2010 -- Let us focus on one group of people that needs special help during this happy period of Advent: the aged.
- Women, Health and Safety
11/17/2010 -- Urge your congressional representative to support and co-sponsor H.R. 5268, the Global Maternal and Newborn Health Outcomes while Maximizing Successes (MOMS) Act.
- Citizens of the World Advocate for Women, Peace, and Security at the CCUN
11/01/2010 -- This week, to celebrate ten years since UNSCR 1325's passage, hundreds of global citizens gathered with United Methodist Women at the Church Center for the United Nations (CCUN) to strategize on new and creative ways to hold governments accountable for th...
- Living the Purpose
10/20/2010 -- Operation Hope members now have every reason to sing, celebrate and praise God all the day long. United Methodist Women members live the purpose of United Methodist Women by creating a supportive fellowship with members of Operation Hope.
- Talking About "Inheriting the Trade"
10/19/2010 -- Author Thomas Norman DeWolf of "Inheriting the Trade" will join us at UMWOnline.net on Oct. 28 in dialogue around the issues of race, diversity and healing from the damage caused by the historic oppressions and injustice that continue to impact all of us ...
- Sally L. Vonner Elected to Women's Division AGS Position, and Other Approvals
10/13/2010 -- At their Annual board meeting, Oct. 7-11 in Stamford, Conn., the Women’s Division board of directors approved or reported on the following actions.
- Become a JFON Advocate!
10/12/2010 -- Join us during 10-Fold to learn about a vital United Methodist Ministry to immigrants, Justice For Our Neighbors.
- Very Much In Control
10/12/2010 -- The Rev. Dr. Aleese Moore-Orbih of FaithTrust Institute led directors, staff and guests in a domestic violence awareness education session the Women’s Division Annual board of directors meeting in Stamford, Conn.
- Nothing Was Ever the Same Again After That
10/08/2010 -- Women’s Division head Harriett Olson opened the annual fall board of directors meeting with a message of hope that today’s mission efforts could be pivotal events for good in the lives of women, children and youth.
- Electing Candidates Committed to Changing Lives for Women, Girls, and Families
10/07/2010 -- Use the Checklist as a tool to assess whether a candidate’s positions reflect values supporting initiatives for women, girls, and families.
- Sunlit Sisters
10/01/2010 -- The Korean War led many young women to “camptowns” where there were soldiers with money and a chance for survival. Today, Sunlit Sisters Center offers light and love to the now aging women.
- UMC Bishop Thomas Bickerton Speaks on Ending Malaria Deaths at U.N. Panel
09/22/2010 -- United Methodist Women had a presence at the U.N. Week’s Digital Media Lounge Tuesday during which a panel discussion was held about malaria that included United Methodist Bishop Thomas Bickerton, who spearheads the Nothing But Nets campaign.
- Pakistan Flood Update from Women's Division Partners
09/10/2010 -- Faith and funding partners of United Methodist Women in Pakistan report that recent flooding in Pakistan has hit the poorest of the poor and has further deepened poverty among those living at the lowest economic level.
- Hiroshima ‘Hibaku’ Survivor Piano to Be at Tillman Chapel
09/07/2010 -- The Women’s Division of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries welcomes a Global Harmony Peace concert featuring the Hibaku “Survivor” Piano September 13, 2010, at 6 p.m. in the Tillman Chapel of the Church Center for the United Nations.
- Alaska Children's Services Marks 120th Anniversary
07/14/2010 -- Alaska Children's Services, a United Methodist Women-supported National Mission Institution, is celebrating its 120th anniversary this year.
- Responsively Yours: Leading into the Future
06/18/2010 -- There is a world of possibilities for how we position ourselves to be United Methodist Women of all generations, all racial/ethnic groups, and all women.
- Edinburgh 2010 Is Reminded Of Role of Women in Mission
06/08/2010 -- Celebrating women's involvement in mission, beginning in the 19th century, was an option for conference delegates and local people at the City of Edinburgh Methodist Church.
- Responsively Yours: New Every Morning
05/17/2010 -- We have a vision that will focus our work and challenge us into our future: United Methodist Women is turning faith, hope and love into action for women, children and youth around the world.
- Protect Teens from Dating Violence
05/05/2010 -- In March, the House of Representatives passed House Resolution 1081, to affirm its support for awareness and prevention of teen dating violence.
- International Market About More than Goods
05/02/2010 -- The international solidarity marketplace at Assembly 2010.
- Serving the City of St. Louis
04/30/2010 -- Photos capture the experience of Ubuntu Day of Service, where United Methodist Women members served St. Louis, Mo. preceding United Methodist Women’s Assembly 2010.
- United Methodist Women and Men Take Action Against Domestic Violence
04/18/2010 -- The organizations agreed to collaborate on domestic violence programs, training and resources that can be used in churches across the country.
- Women's Division President: 'Ask What You Can Do for Mission'
04/14/2010 -- In the wake of major earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, and continued suffering of immigrants, Women’s Division President Inelda Z. González urged United Methodist Women members to redouble their outreach to neighbors in need in her address to directors at t...
- Committed to Their Communities
04/01/2010 -- United Methodist Women-supported mission with communities across the United States is manifested in national mission institutions.
- Deaconess Clara Ester
04/01/2010 -- A Life of Mission and Evangelism
- Ecumenical Women Worship, Prepare for 54th U.N. Commission on Status of Women
03/02/2010 -- Ecumenical Women at the United Nations gathered in the Church Center for the United Nations Feb. 27 to worship and prepare for the 54th Commission on the Status of Women.
- Of HAPI-ness, Gratitude Journals, and Haiti
02/19/2010 -- United Methodist Women-supported Hatian Artisans for Peace International generates hope; not just for the artisans of Mizak, but also for those who journal in the hand-bound books they sell.
- Béjè mouin, sè you Roua d'amou
01/25/2010 -- Pray with the people of Haiti through song.
- Two United Methodists Honored for Ecumenical Service
11/12/2009 -- Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 12, 2009--Lois Dauway, an executive of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries, was honored for outstanding service to ecumenism at the 2009 General Assembly of the National Council of Churches and Church W...
- Women’s Division Board Approves Restructure
10/15/2009 -- Women’s Division’s Board of Directors approved a recommendation for reconfiguring relationships with the General Board of Global Ministries at its recent meeting, Oct. 9-12, in Stamford, Conn.
- Baltic United Methodist Theological Seminary Marks Anniversary with a New President
08/17/2009 -- Tallinn, Estonia--The 15th anniversary of the largest United Methodist theological seminary in Europe was marked by the installation of a new president and an espiscopal address linking the role of theological schools to the practice of Christian mission....
- Lois Dauway to Lead Process of Unifying Program Units at Mission Agency
05/28/2009 -- New York, NY, May 28, 2009--A seasoned church leader is being tapped to lead the process that will unify five program units of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries into a single mission operation.
- Division Directors to Explore New Relationship with Global Ministries
04/28/2009 -- Women's Division directors voted to explore a new model of partnership with the General Board of Global Ministries that would transfer oversight of United Methodist Women-supported national mission institutions, relationships with international partners a...
- Sensitive to the Current State of Global Economics, Treasurer Martha Knight is Realistic
04/28/2009 -- To the Women’s Division Board of Directors, Treasurer Martha Knight presented the year end financial report for the year 2008, at their semi-annual Board meeting in Stamford, Conn. on Friday.
- Women's Division Head Calls Hope Key to Future
04/27/2009 -- Hope is what the world needs, what United Methodist Women offers and what will drive the organization into a vibrant future in Christ’s mission, Women’s Division chief officer Harriett Jane Olson told division directors meeting in Stamford, Conn., April 2...
- Emma's Place: Hope and Home for Families
12/26/2008 -- Emma's Place (in St. Paul, Minnesota) believes in second chances, for which the families who live there are exceedingly grateful.
- United Methodists Elect Bishop for Sierra Leone
12/22/2008 -- MONROVIA, Liberia (UMNS), December 22, 2008--The Rev. John K. Yambasu, 52, has been elected bishop of The United Methodist Church in Sierra Leone by delegates of the denomination's West Africa Central Conference.
- 100 Years of Kindness and Mercy at East St. Louis Community Center
10/31/2008 -- "100 Acts of Kindness, 100 Acts of Mercy" is the theme of the 100th anniversary of a United Methodist community center that is part of the social and religious bedrock of East St. Louis and surrounding St. Clair County.
- October 24: United Nations Day
10/21/2008 -- A reflection on God’s call for justice and the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- United Methodist Women Stands in Solidarity for Immigrant Rights
10/20/2008 -- United Methodist Women stood in solidarity for immigrant rights on two occasions last week, as the organization’s Immigrant Rights/Civil Rights Initiative took steps to support this issue.
- Mission Study on Israel-Palestine Is Consistent with United Methodist Policy
06/24/2008 -- A joint statement of the General Board of Global Ministries and the Women's Division
- "Holy Conferencing": Speaking to One Another as Christians Despite Differing Views
10/08/2007 -- Stamford, CT., October 7, 2007-- A set for guidelines for helping United Methodists talk among themselves about important, even controversial, matters without falling into acrimony and name calling has been developed for use as the denomination moves towa...
- "Holy Conferencing:" Speaking to One Another as Christians Despite Differing Views
10/07/2007 -- A set for guidelines for helping United Methodists talk among themselves about important, even controversial, matters without falling into acrimony and name calling has been developed for use as the denomination moves toward its 2008 legislating General C...
Return to the original article.