Women’s Division Consents to Sibley Hospital Affiliation
The Women's Division Board of Directors voted to approve the affiliation of Sibley Memorial Hospital with Johns Hopkins Health Services, effective November 1.
United Methodist Women predecessor Woman's Home Missionary Society founded the Lucy Webb Hayes Training School for the purpose of training deaconesses and missionaries for their service in health, Christian education and outreach.
Soon after its formation, William Sibley, an early supporter of the school, donated $10,000 in his wife's name to help the school expand into a full-service hospital. Sibley Memorial Hospital became operational in 1895. Its purpose was to continue training deaconesses and missionaries while also providing a clinical setting for nursing education and medical care.
In 1944, Women's Home Missionary Society deeded the original property to Sibley Hospital, and the hospital later moved to its current location as a part of a redevelopment land swap.
Women's Division is proud to join in the announcement of yet another change in the way this ministry is being conducted. The Women's Division Board of Directors voted to approve the affiliation of Sibley Hospital with Johns Hopkins Health Services, effective November 1.
With the merger, Sibley Hospital has established a new foundation, the Jane Bancroft Robinson Foundation, to carry on the purposes of the original Lucy Webb Hayes school. The foundation is named the in honor of the woman who shepherded the establishment of the original training school and who was the lead volunteer in the Office of Deaconesses at its founding.
The foundation has received a $10 million gift from Sibley Hospital, and it will also receive annual distributions of the earnings of another $65 million. The new foundation's board will be comprised of representatives of Sibley Hospital, the Baltimore-Washington Conference of the United Methodist Church and the Women's Division. Baltimore-Washington Conference bishop John Schol and the Women's Division have agreed to relinquish seats on the board of Sibley Hospital in exchange for seats on the board of this new foundation.
Women's Division is very gratified by the recognition of the critical role of deaconesses in this work. We are also looking forward with anticipation to the ministries that this board will be able to support through the work of the new foundation, focusing on the original mission of serving the mental, physical and spiritual health of the poor.