We found 42 additional articles filed under advocacy events. They're listed below, most recent first.
- Webinar: "Women, Migration & Maternal Health" - June 5
05/01/2013 -- June 5, 3-4 p.m., EDT. As the immigration debate heats up in the U.S., migrant women are often denied basic rights to health care; legal status, language and race all factor in limiting access. Learn more about what you can do! Register at umchealthyfamil...
- United Methodist Women Listens to Nebraskan Farmers
04/19/2013 -- A Canadian corporation plans to build the Keystone XL Pipeline across Nebraska. A delegation of United Methodist Women leaders and staff traveled there in April 2013 to listen to Nebraskan farm families directly affected by the proposed pipeline.
- United Methodist Women Honored for Anti-Hate Campaign
04/08/2013 -- The Muslim Consultative Network honored United Methodist Women, Sojourners and T’ruah for “standing against anti-Muslim bigotry” at their Third Annual Gala on April 4 in New York.
- United Methodist Women Joins Ecumenical Call for Commonsense Gun Laws
01/17/2013 -- United Methodist Women joined more than 40 national faith groups signing a Jan. 14 ecumenical letter to both houses of the U.S. Congress asking for commonsense legislation to reduce gun violence.
- United Methodists Finalists for “Energy Oscars”
12/07/2012 -- California hosts not one but two annual “Oscar” nights, and United Methodist Women were in the spotlight for the 2012 California Interfaith Power & Light Energy Oscar awards ceremony held at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, November 13.
- The Impact of Food Prices on Peace and Security
11/14/2012 -- The poorest households in the developing world spend up to 60 to 80% of their incomes on food.
- United Methodist Women Takes New York Subway Ad to Washington Metro
10/11/2012 -- Following their ads posted in the New York City subway challenging hate speech, United Methodist Women will co-sponsor more counter ads, this time in Washington, DC’s Metro stations, with 23 other faith organizations.
- United Methodist Women Unveils Ad Countering Hate Speech in New York City Subway
09/26/2012 -- General Secretary of United Methodist Women Harriett J. Olson unveiled an ad countering the anti-Muslim hate speech of an ad posted in 10 New York City subway stations during an interfaith press conference Sept. 25.
- United Methodist Women Hosts Public Forum on Peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
09/24/2012 -- “Raging War, Waging Peace—Achieving Justice in the Democratic Republic of the Congo” was co-sponsored by the General Board of Church and Society’s U.N. and International Affairs Office, Global Policy Forum, Mennonite Central Committee–U.N. Office, Presbyt...
- New York Interfaith Coalition Will Gather to Denounce Hate Ads on Subways
09/24/2012 -- On Tuesday, September 25 at 9:00 am, a coalition of New York community and faith based organizations will gather on the steps of City Hall to denounce anti-Muslim hate advertisements posted on New York City subway platforms. The ads are harmfully provocat...
- United Methodist Women Joins World Day Against Child Labor
06/01/2012 -- During the week of June 11, 2012, United Methodist Women will join children’s advocates around the world, lifting up concerns about the exploitation of children on the World Day Against Child Labor.
- United Methodist Women Day
04/28/2012 -- Women organized for mission gathered for sisterhood and rallied for immigrants and an end to private prisons April 28, United Methodist Women Day at General Conference.
- Rally Highlights Private Prison Detention
04/28/2012 -- Coinciding with a rally to end the private prison industry’s increased detention-for-profit policies, United Methodist Women members descended on General Conference to declare Saturday, April 28, 2012 “United Methodist Women Day.”
- United Methodist Women in Ministry With Poor at General Conference
04/20/2012 -- United Methodist Women will participate in "Breaking Bread with Tampa," which is serving free lunches to the homeless during General Conference 2012.
- Community Leaders and Rural Women Bear Fruit at UN Meeting
02/24/2012 -- The fruits of next week’s UN gathering will be the empowerment and participation of community leaders like Ms. Robinson who brings the realities, concerns and voices of rural women to the international table.
- Intercept the Traffickers 2012
12/05/2011 -- Leading up to Super Bowl Sunday, February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana, join United Methodist Women Human Trafficking Team members in our Intercept the Traffickers campaign.
- United Methodist Delegation to Attend Migrant Rights Convention in Geneva, Switzerland
11/17/2011 -- A General Board of Global Ministries delegation will attend the People’s Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland, November 28–December 2, 2011.
- United Methodists Join Tar Sands Action for Environmental Justice
11/09/2011 -- United Methodists converged on the White House on Sunday, November 6, 2011, with over 10,000 others to press President Obama to block construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.
- United Methodist Women Joins Tar Sands Action at White House
10/28/2011 -- United Methodist Women will join with other organizations November 6th in Washington, D.C., at 2 p.m. for one hour in an action against the proposed transcontinental Keystone XL tar sands pipeline projects intended to ship oil from Canada to the United St...
- The Things that Make for Peace
10/25/2011 -- What are “the things that make for peace”?
- Women's Division Annual Report: 2010 (PDF)
10/07/2011 -- Thinking About the Next 100 Years: Shaping Faith, Hope and Love into Action.
- United Methodist Women Prepares for National Seminar on Social Justice
08/08/2011 -- Women from across the U.S. will study and act on justice issues at the seminar, “Mission: Reconciliation,” Aug. 13-17 in Birmingham, AL. Bible studies led by Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz will be livestreamed every morning at 8 a.m. EST starting Aug. 14!
- The 56th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
08/04/2011 -- CSW-56 will take place at United Nations Headquarters in New York City from February 27 to March 9, 2012. The theme is “the empowerment of rural women and their role in poverty and hunger eradication, development and current challenge.” This session will ...
- The United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII)
05/19/2011 -- This year is the 10th anniversary of the creation of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII), which will be held May 16–27, 2011, at the United Nations (U.N.) headquarters in New York City.
- Wage Peace for Mother’s Day
05/06/2011 -- President Barack Obama’s announcement on Sunday that a U.S. Navy Seal team had killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan begs the question: Could this be a time for all persons of goodwill to undertake the hard work of waging peace?
- Organize a Public Witness for Immigrant Rights
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women members have a long history of public witness for social justice. Recently, United Methodist Women members have been mobilizing to speak out publicly for immigrant rights across the country.
- A People’s Cathedral in Wisconsin
04/01/2011 -- A United Methodist reports from the struggle for worker’s rights in Madison, Wisc.
- United Methodist Women Hosts Delegation and Workshops for the 55th Commission on the Status of Women
02/16/2011 -- This year, United Methodist Women will be an active participant at the United Nation’s 55th annual Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), February 22 to March 4 at the Church Center for the United Nations (CCUN).
- Intercept Human Trafficking
12/07/2010 -- Super Bowl XLV will be held Sunday February 6, 2011, in Dallas, Texas. While the country celebrates this unofficial holiday, United Methodist Women and Mosaic Family Services in North Texas will be working to combat human trafficking.
- International Climate Talks On In Mexico
12/03/2010 -- This year’s high-level United Nations climate meeting, the Conference of Parties, has begun in Cancun, Mexico, with an estimated 200 nations sending representatives. United Methodist Women partners are currently there.
- Global Migration Focus of Global Gathering in Mexico
11/01/2010 -- United Methodist Women heads to Mexico City this week for the People’s Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights (PGA).
- Become a JFON Advocate!
10/12/2010 -- Join us during 10-Fold to learn about a vital United Methodist Ministry to immigrants, Justice For Our Neighbors.
- UMC Bishop Thomas Bickerton Speaks on Ending Malaria Deaths at U.N. Panel
09/22/2010 -- United Methodist Women had a presence at the U.N. Week’s Digital Media Lounge Tuesday during which a panel discussion was held about malaria that included United Methodist Bishop Thomas Bickerton, who spearheads the Nothing But Nets campaign.
- Results of the 2010 Global Media Monitoring
09/10/2010 -- On November 10, 2009, volunteers from 108 countries, including United Methodist Women members, monitored the portrayal of women in the media. These are some conclusions from the Global Media Monitoring final report.
- From Iowa to Washington, D.C.
08/30/2010 -- Judy Kading shares how she puts “love in action” as Iowa United Methodist Women’s social action mission coordinator.
- Voices of Human Trafficking Team Members
08/30/2010 -- United Methodist Women members who participated in the Human Trafficking training session in Atlanta, Ga. in 2009 reflect on what they've accomplished and how they've changed a year later.
- United Methodist Women-Supported Crossroads Urban Center Sponsors Forum on Poverty in Utah
08/24/2010 -- Several homeless Utahns spoke Saturday at the annual People’s Summit on Poverty, designed to bring together those living in poverty and those looking to take action.
- Domestic Violence Printable Handout (PDF)
07/27/2010 -- Print this handout for distribution at events on building awareness on domestic violence. Also includes survey and program evaluation form.
- United Methodist Women, Local Advocacy Groups Gather in St. Louis May 1 to Call for Immigrant, Civil and Human Rights
04/21/2010 -- On Saturday, May 1, 2010, thousands of United Methodist Women, in St. Louis for their Quadrennial Assembly, and key St. Louis community groups will march and participate in a public faith-based vigil for immigrant, civil and human rights.
- Organize a Public Witness for Immigrant Rights on May 1
04/06/2010 -- We are inviting all United Methodist Women to organize local public witness events for immigrant rights in your communities on May 1. These events will link to a faith-based march and vigil for immigrant rights at Assembly 2010 in St. Louis.
- United Methodist Women Joins 200,000 on National Mall for Just Immigration Policies
03/25/2010 -- United Methodist Women members joined other United Methodists and 200,000 others calling for just reform of immigration policies in "March for America" in Washington, D.C., March 21.
- United Methodist Women Stands in Solidarity for Immigrant Rights
10/20/2008 -- United Methodist Women stood in solidarity for immigrant rights on two occasions last week, as the organization’s Immigrant Rights/Civil Rights Initiative took steps to support this issue.
Return to the original article.