GENERAL BOARD OF GLOBAL MINISTRIES GBGM
We found 77 additional articles filed under General Board of Global Ministries GBGM. They're listed below, most recent first.
- Being Bearers of Palms of Peace and Praise in the Midst of Needs and Conflicts
03/15/2013 -- We can wave palms of peace and praise because we have hope that the worst things are never the last things. As Jesus made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem on the day we celebrate as Palm Sunday, he knew that the week ahead would be physically, emotional...
- United Methodist Women Officially an Agency of The United Methodist Church
10/01/2012 -- United Methodist Women continues in a 140-year tradition of turning faith, hope and love into action on behalf of women, children and youth around the world.
- 10-Fold. 1 Click. Be Counted.
09/24/2012 -- Are you looking for resources to help you make a difference in the world? This October, with a click of your mouse, you can become an advocate for mission! On October 1, 10-Fold returns for a month-long celebration of five exciting projects, each highligh...
- Program Advisory Group Added to Lead United Methodist Women
07/25/2012 -- As United Methodist Women celebrate nominees to their board of directors, they also welcome nominees of the new entity: the Program Advisory Group.
- Is This Your Mother's UMW?
07/02/2012 -- On May 1, the 2012 United Methodist General Conference approved legislation to separate UMW and its administrative body, the Women’s Division, from the Board of Global Ministries, to which it had been related for decades.
- Turning Girls on to Mission In Columbia, S.C.
07/01/2012 -- A youth circle at Washington Street United Methodist Church in Columbia, S.C., is learning by doing mission through United Methodist Women.
- Responsively Yours: What Can You Imagine?
07/01/2012 -- Structural configurations alone will not make us the multigenerational, multicultural, multilingual, multiracial, Spirit-filled organization that we want to be. But if we imagine it and build it and work toward it, I believe that God will bless our effort...
- Is this your mother’s UMW?
06/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women starts a new chapter of its 143-year-old existence as a mission movement for women within The United Methodist Church.
- Now For Something Completely Different
05/18/2012 -- I left Tampa on May 5 with hope bubbling up in my thoughts about possible structures for The United Methodist Church. Here’s what I saw.
- General Conference Approves United Methodist Women Autonomy
05/01/2012 -- By a vote of 889 to 20, General Conference made United Methodist Women an autonomous organization within the United Methodist Church May 1 during its quadrennial meeting Tampa, Fla. The historic vote separates the national policymaking body of women organ...
- The Intersections of United Methodist Women and UMCOR
04/27/2012 -- A United Methodist Women MeetUp on Thursday, April 25 during General Conference highlighted the connectional ministries of United Methodist Women and the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
- Watch General Conference Events Live Online
04/23/2012 -- GC2012.umc.org will live-stream video of all plenary sessions, morning prayer and evening worship services, the Episcopal Address, Laity Address, Young People’s Address, Act of Repentance and other highlights.
- United Methodist Women in Ministry With Poor at General Conference
04/20/2012 -- United Methodist Women will participate in "Breaking Bread with Tampa," which is serving free lunches to the homeless during General Conference 2012.
- Tampa Event Geared to Immigrant Detention
04/18/2012 -- “Profit From Pain Is Inhumane! Dignity Not Detention” will be theme of a rally during General Conference 2012.
- Profile of a Deaconess: Amanda Mountain
04/02/2012 -- Amanda Mountain was one of 12 deaconesses and one home missioner commissioned at the Women’s Division Assembly in 2010. Ms. Mountain is looking forward to standing with the 15 deaconess and 2 home missioners who will be commissioned during the 2012 Genera...
- Someone's Praying, Lord
03/27/2012 -- Ask God to give wisdom to the delegates to make decisions that will lift up the presence of the church as an effective witness in the world.
- At Last Meeting of the Quadrennium, Women’s Division Directors Set Mission Budget, Welcome New Staff
03/21/2012 -- For many directors, the semiannual Women’s Division board of directors meeting in Plano, Texas, would be their last, as they served the maximum of their full two terms of eight years. Yet there was ample time for this configuration of directors to celebra...
- Finding Our Self: United Methodist Women in the Next Quadrennium
03/20/2012 -- At the spring 2012 Women’s Division board meeting, Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson asks United Methodist Women to define itself as an organization that is part of the body of Christ.
- Treasurer's Report: Many Gifts, One Spirit
03/19/2012 -- Treasurer Martha Knight described the impact the Women’s Division board of directors’ budgetary approvals throughout the 2009-2012 quadrennium had on individuals, communities and organizations around the world.
- The Secret
03/09/2012 -- The Church has a powerful role to play in destigmatizing substance abuse and supporting individuals and families facing addiction.
- Korean PDF - Responsively Yours: First Hit Pause
03/01/2012 -- Korean version of the monthly installment by Harriett Jane Olson.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- Women's Division Statement to the Fifty-sixth Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
01/24/2012 -- Statement submitted by The United Methodist Church General Board of Global Ministries, Women’s Division, a nongovernmental organization in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council to the Fifty-sixth session of the Commission on the Stat...
- Budget 2012 Presents Faith as an Action
01/12/2012 -- Budget 2012 is a reflection of the faith and faithfulness of United Methodist Women, which will strengthen current areas of programming while preparing for a new quadrennium.
- Not Without Hope: Healed and Free
01/06/2012 -- All she wanted was a good paying job. Instead, Anna (not her real name), from Yerevan, Armenia, ended up working for her captors and enduring a traumatic five-month ordeal of forced prostitution in Dubai.
- United Methodist Delegation to Attend Migrant Rights Convention in Geneva, Switzerland
11/17/2011 -- A General Board of Global Ministries delegation will attend the People’s Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland, November 28–December 2, 2011.
- United Methodist Mission Delegation to Attend Global Events on Migration, Development and Human Rights
11/15/2011 -- Global Ministries, including United Methodist Women, has organized a delegation highly representative of areas where The United Methodist Church and its mission partners are challenged by migration issues.
- Trafficking Survivor Rediscovers a World of Beauty
11/10/2011 -- Mariam* was just 15 years old when her parents married her to a man 20 years her senior. She worked day and night, a servant to her husband’s extended family, and was not allowed to sleep until her husband came home. He was connected to a world of crime a...
- Rooted in Justice
11/04/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s work for peace and justice has 140-year-old roots.
- Members Continue Dedicated Giving
10/14/2011 -- As the Women’s Division studies funds endowed to United Methodist Women over the last 140 years, Treasurer Martha Knight asked directors to imagine what future members would say about their lasting legacy.
- United Methodist Women Board of Directors Meeting: October 2011
10/11/2011 -- Photos from fall board meeting held October 7-10, 2011 in New York at the Interchurch Center and the Church Center for the United Nations.
- Report of the Deputy General Secretary
10/10/2011 -- On Friday October 7, Women’s Division Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson addressed the Women’s Division board of directors at their annual fall meeting. With the message “Shaping the Future,” Ms. Olson spoke of how the current work of United Met...
- Women's Division Annual Report: 2010 (PDF)
10/07/2011 -- Thinking About the Next 100 Years: Shaping Faith, Hope and Love into Action.
- Responsively Yours: Acting Like Hope
10/05/2011 -- Imagine the United Methodist Church as an influential voice in the local community and the world, inviting change, restoration, healing and a deep Christian spiritual formation that sustains us in addressing injustice and brokenness in the world.
- Cordialmente Tuya: Esperanza en Acción
10/01/2011 -- "¿Qué es lo que necesitamos hoy en la Iglesia Metodista Unida?", esta fue la pregunta que hizo una líder de un seminario. Como era temprano en la mañana, quizás perdí algo de su presentación, pero parecía que su pregunta reclamaba una respuesta.
- United Methodist Church Follows Jesus' Lead: Immigration Task Force Moves Ministry to the Borders
09/20/2011 -- "Jesus learned new things when he went to the border," said Rev. Edgar Avitia, who led the worship in Florida for US-based missionaries of The United Methodist Church.
- Susanna Wesley House in Baltimore, Maryland: A Stable Foundation for Personal Growth
09/01/2011 -- This New World Outlook article looks at an institution that serves as transitional housing and so much more.
- Prayers From Duluth
07/08/2011 -- A newly retired woman finds another home for her faith and mission.
- Ubuntu Day of Service Took Kit
07/05/2011 -- Plan a Day of Service! Download the toolkit (PDF, 32 pp) from MinistryWith.org
- Gum Moon Residence Celebrates 100 Years: YouTube Video
06/22/2011 -- This San Francisco mission provides advocacy, programs for children, youth, and families, an emergency and transitional housing and more.
- Responsively Yours: Ready for Our Next 100 Years in Mission
06/20/2011 -- Directors of Women’s Division and Global Ministries have both risen to the moment and approved a new proposal for working together in the future.
- Lois McCullough Dauway to be Honored at the New York City Area Circles of Names Gathering
06/03/2011 -- Lois M. Dauway has a long and storied career of Christian service in the United Methodist Church and the ecumenical arena that showed the Gospel to the world. Ms. Dauway served as Interim Deputy General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministr...
- Cordialmente Suya: Preparadas para Nuestros Próximos 100 Años en Misión
06/01/2011 -- ¡Este es un buen momento para ser miembro de las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas!
- Korean/PDF. Responsively Yours: Ready for Our Next 100 Years in Mission
06/01/2011 -- Directors of Women’s Division and Global Ministries have both risen to the moment and approved a new proposal for working together in the future.
- The Day My World Was Turned Upside Down
05/06/2011 -- An update on the recent tornado that devastated Alabama and other parts of the South, from Women's Division director Lynn Hamric.
- Responsively Yours: The Law of Unintended Consequences
05/03/2011 -- Proceeding slowly, led by people of Haiti, is required for an organic and effective recovery to take root and grow.
- Cordialmente Suya: Una Ley con Consecuencias Inesperadas
05/01/2011 -- Recuerdo con mucha claridad lo que aprendí en una clase de antropología de la universidad acerca del impacto que se crea entre un participante y un observador. Mi profesora, que había trabajado por varios años formando y enseñando a leer y escribir a gent...
- Responsively Yours: The Law of Unintended Consequences - Korean
05/01/2011 -- Korean language version of Harriett Olson's monthly column in response.
- Report of the President to the Women’s Division Board of Directors
04/28/2011 -- Inelda González, president of the Women's Division, gave her speech to the board of directors at their Semi-Annual meeting, April 10, 2011 in Stamford, Conn.
- FAQs for Women's Division Proposed Structural Separation
04/11/2011 -- Directors of the Women's Division approved a proposal to structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries while continuing to work together in mutual areas of mission.
- Women’s Division Proposes Becoming “Structurally Separate, Missionally Connected” to Global Ministries
04/10/2011 -- The Women’s Division board voted to become structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM) while remaining “missionally connected” in staff configuration and by board directors at its recent meeting, April 7-11 in Stamford, Conn.
- Set apart, lay people vow a life of service
04/08/2011 -- On April 7 10 deaconess candidates, along with one home missioner, were commissioned in the chapel of the Interchurch Center as part of the spring meeting of United Methodist Women.
- Church Agencies Battle Human Trafficking
03/31/2011 -- When Maria, an Armenian citizen, ended up in Dubai, she resisted attempts by her traffickers to force her into prostitution.
- United Methodist Women Reach out to Japan
03/20/2011 -- United Methodist Women are praying for the Japanese people and for all of the missionaries and mission institutions in the country that was hit by earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown on March 11.
- Mission Agency in Prayer for Japan, Mission Personnel and Volunteers Safe
03/14/2011 -- The United Methodist Church's mission agency expressed deep concern for the people of Japan and its own personnel and partners in that country in the wake of the devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
- Bright Lights: Spiritual Growth Through Service
02/01/2011 -- United Methodist Women at Springfield Gardens United Methodist Church in Queens, N.Y., is active in spirit and deed, offering opportunities for personal spiritual growth and supporting projects that meet community material needs. The 100-member unit meets...
- Ending Human Trafficking, One Life at a Time
01/28/2011 -- Alisa* fell prey to a human trafficker in her hometown in Armenia. She was just 20 years old and the single mother of a nine-month-old baby. The trafficker forced Alisa into prostitution by threatening to kidnap her young child if she did not do as he sai...
- Citizens of the World Advocate for Women, Peace, and Security at the CCUN
11/01/2010 -- This week, to celebrate ten years since UNSCR 1325's passage, hundreds of global citizens gathered with United Methodist Women at the Church Center for the United Nations (CCUN) to strategize on new and creative ways to hold governments accountable for th...
- Living the Purpose
10/20/2010 -- Operation Hope members now have every reason to sing, celebrate and praise God all the day long. United Methodist Women members live the purpose of United Methodist Women by creating a supportive fellowship with members of Operation Hope.
- Sally L. Vonner Elected to Women's Division AGS Position, and Other Approvals
10/13/2010 -- At their Annual board meeting, Oct. 7-11 in Stamford, Conn., the Women’s Division board of directors approved or reported on the following actions.
- Become a JFON Advocate!
10/12/2010 -- Join us during 10-Fold to learn about a vital United Methodist Ministry to immigrants, Justice For Our Neighbors.
- Very Much In Control
10/12/2010 -- The Rev. Dr. Aleese Moore-Orbih of FaithTrust Institute led directors, staff and guests in a domestic violence awareness education session the Women’s Division Annual board of directors meeting in Stamford, Conn.
- Nothing Was Ever the Same Again After That
10/08/2010 -- Women’s Division head Harriett Olson opened the annual fall board of directors meeting with a message of hope that today’s mission efforts could be pivotal events for good in the lives of women, children and youth.
- UMC Bishop Thomas Bickerton Speaks on Ending Malaria Deaths at U.N. Panel
09/22/2010 -- United Methodist Women had a presence at the U.N. Week’s Digital Media Lounge Tuesday during which a panel discussion was held about malaria that included United Methodist Bishop Thomas Bickerton, who spearheads the Nothing But Nets campaign.
- Pakistan Flood Update from Women's Division Partners
09/10/2010 -- Faith and funding partners of United Methodist Women in Pakistan report that recent flooding in Pakistan has hit the poorest of the poor and has further deepened poverty among those living at the lowest economic level.
- Hiroshima ‘Hibaku’ Survivor Piano to Be at Tillman Chapel
09/07/2010 -- The Women’s Division of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries welcomes a Global Harmony Peace concert featuring the Hibaku “Survivor” Piano September 13, 2010, at 6 p.m. in the Tillman Chapel of the Church Center for the United Nations.
- Responsively Yours: New Every Morning
05/17/2010 -- We have a vision that will focus our work and challenge us into our future: United Methodist Women is turning faith, hope and love into action for women, children and youth around the world.
- Serving the City of St. Louis
04/30/2010 -- Photos capture the experience of Ubuntu Day of Service, where United Methodist Women members served St. Louis, Mo. preceding United Methodist Women’s Assembly 2010.
- Two United Methodists Honored for Ecumenical Service
11/12/2009 -- Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 12, 2009--Lois Dauway, an executive of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries, was honored for outstanding service to ecumenism at the 2009 General Assembly of the National Council of Churches and Church W...
- Baltic United Methodist Theological Seminary Marks Anniversary with a New President
08/17/2009 -- Tallinn, Estonia--The 15th anniversary of the largest United Methodist theological seminary in Europe was marked by the installation of a new president and an espiscopal address linking the role of theological schools to the practice of Christian mission....
- Lois Dauway to Lead Process of Unifying Program Units at Mission Agency
05/28/2009 -- New York, NY, May 28, 2009--A seasoned church leader is being tapped to lead the process that will unify five program units of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries into a single mission operation.
- Division Directors to Explore New Relationship with Global Ministries
04/28/2009 -- Women's Division directors voted to explore a new model of partnership with the General Board of Global Ministries that would transfer oversight of United Methodist Women-supported national mission institutions, relationships with international partners a...
- United Methodists Elect Bishop for Sierra Leone
12/22/2008 -- MONROVIA, Liberia (UMNS), December 22, 2008--The Rev. John K. Yambasu, 52, has been elected bishop of The United Methodist Church in Sierra Leone by delegates of the denomination's West Africa Central Conference.
- 100 Years of Kindness and Mercy at East St. Louis Community Center
10/31/2008 -- "100 Acts of Kindness, 100 Acts of Mercy" is the theme of the 100th anniversary of a United Methodist community center that is part of the social and religious bedrock of East St. Louis and surrounding St. Clair County.
- Mission Study on Israel-Palestine Is Consistent with United Methodist Policy
06/24/2008 -- A joint statement of the General Board of Global Ministries and the Women's Division
- "Holy Conferencing": Speaking to One Another as Christians Despite Differing Views
10/08/2007 -- Stamford, CT., October 7, 2007-- A set for guidelines for helping United Methodists talk among themselves about important, even controversial, matters without falling into acrimony and name calling has been developed for use as the denomination moves towa...
Return to the original article.