THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
We found 177 additional articles filed under The United Methodist Church. They're listed below, most recent first.
- Discernment Event for Deaconesses and Home Missioners
01/17/2014 -- This spring, explore God’s invitation to become a deaconess or home missioner at a special event in Newton, Mass.
- Celebrating Christmas is Risky Business
12/20/2013 -- “Celebrate” is one of those words that must make non-native English speakers tear their hair.
- Living in the Shadows: Religion's Response to Human Trafficking
12/11/2013 -- Living in the Shadows: Religion's Response to Human Trafficking, a CBS Interfaith Special, will be broadcast Sunday, Dec. 15, on the CBS Television Network. Please check your local station for exact time.
- District and Conference Bylaws
12/10/2013 -- Updated bylaws appear in the United Methodist Women Handbook 2013-2016.
- Take the United Methodist Names for God Survey
10/02/2013 -- Take a United Methodist Survey to help us better understand United Methodists perspectives on the language used for God. The General Commission on the Status and Role of Women wants to hear from all members of the United Methodist community. By taking the...
- Responsively Yours: What the Church Needs From United Methodist Women
10/01/2013 -- United Methodist Women is an organization of The United Methodist Church. As such, it is fair to ask, “What does The United Methodist Church need from United Methodist Women?” How would you answer that question?
- Cordialmente Suya: Lo que la Iglesia Necesita de las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas
10/01/2013 -- Las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas es una organización de la Iglesia Metodista Unida. Como tal, es justo preguntar: "¿Qué necesita la Iglesia Metodista Unida de las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas?"¿Cómo respondería usted a esa pregunta?
- United Methodists to take part in weeklong focus on global migration: Link to umcconnections.org
09/26/2013 -- 50 United Methodists will represent the Church at activities calling attention to global migration. The events, associated with the People’s Action on Global Migration, Development and Human Rights, coincide with the High Level Dialogue on International M...
- Senate Immigration Bill: Unfair, Unjust, Unwise
07/05/2013 -- United Methodist Women rejects the disciplinary nature of the current Senate immigration bill, making it more urgent for us to continue our advocacy for positive immigration reform.
- Conference Giving Report: PDF - response, June 2013
06/01/2013 -- Your giving supports the work of United Methodist Women, improving lives for women and children locally, nationally and around the world.
- The Tree of Life: Spring 2013 (PDF)
05/07/2013 -- Hope for Wholeness - Summary of MGD Workshop at World Assembly
- On Mother’s Day, Stand with Mothers in Africa
04/12/2013 -- Encourage your local church congregations to participate in Imagine No Malaria’s alternative giving campaign supporting women’s health and the health of their families.
- Somebody’s Calling My Name
04/01/2013 -- Hush. Hush. Somebody’s calling my name! Sounds like Jesus, Jesus is calling my name! Hush. Hush. Somebody’s calling my name! O, my Lord! O, my Lord, what shall I do?
- Exploring the Intersections: Maternal Health & Domestic Violence Webinar
03/15/2013 -- Wednesday, April 03, 2013; 3:00 -4:00 PM Eastern.
- Olson Reports to Program Advisory Group
03/11/2013 -- Olson: ‘A Fresh Wind Is Blowing in United Methodist Women.’
- United Methodist Women Launches Principles to Immigration Reform
02/01/2013 -- United Methodist Women offers core principles on immigration reform to guide us in the intense national debate and negotiations ahead.
- Revisiting the Rev. King’s Call to Action in His “Beyond Vietnam” Speech
01/15/2013 -- Reflecting on passages from his “Beyond Vietnam” speech reveals Dr. King’s words as enduringly prophetic and persistent.
- United Methodists Finalists for “Energy Oscars”
12/07/2012 -- California hosts not one but two annual “Oscar” nights, and United Methodist Women were in the spotlight for the 2012 California Interfaith Power & Light Energy Oscar awards ceremony held at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, November 13.
- How Will Recent Changes to United Methodist Women Affect Local Women?
12/01/2012 -- The 2012 General Conference allowed United Methodist Women to separate from the General Board of Global Ministries and become an official independent organization within the United Methodist Church. Since then, many members have been inquiring about how t...
- Violence in Gaza: What United Methodist Women Supports in Israel-Palestine
11/29/2012 -- We grieve over this and call on United Methodist women to keep the conflict in your prayers and thoughts. United Methodist Women supports many projects in Israel-Palestine.
- Hershey's Fair Trade
11/01/2012 -- United Methodist voices help persuade chocolate company to address child labor.
- What is United Methodist Women Doing, in Heaven's Name?
10/22/2012 -- At their board of directors meeting, Harriett J. Olson asked, “What is going on with United Methodist Women, in heaven’s name?” In other words, how is United Methodist Women’s mission work living into the Gospel to benefit women, children and youth?
- United Methodist Women Officially an Agency of The United Methodist Church
10/01/2012 -- United Methodist Women continues in a 140-year tradition of turning faith, hope and love into action on behalf of women, children and youth around the world.
- HIV's Unexpected Legacies
10/01/2012 -- Activists fighting the AIDS epidemic for 30 years share lessons about social justice, gender equality, human rights and solidarity.
- Perspectives on General Conference: on gcsrw.org
10/01/2012 -- Leanne Nakanishi, California-Pacific Conference United Methodist Women’s president, and general secretary/CEO Harriett Jane Olson are featured in the Sptember/October 2012 edition of The Flyer.
- Program Advisory Group Orientation
09/27/2012 -- United Methodist Women ushered in a new era as members of the board of directors and the newly formed program advisory group gathered at Scarritt-Bennett Center in Nashville, Tenn.
- 10-Fold. 1 Click. Be Counted.
09/24/2012 -- Are you looking for resources to help you make a difference in the world? This October, with a click of your mouse, you can become an advocate for mission! On October 1, 10-Fold returns for a month-long celebration of five exciting projects, each highligh...
- United Methodist Women Hosts Public Forum on Peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
09/24/2012 -- “Raging War, Waging Peace—Achieving Justice in the Democratic Republic of the Congo” was co-sponsored by the General Board of Church and Society’s U.N. and International Affairs Office, Global Policy Forum, Mennonite Central Committee–U.N. Office, Presbyt...
- A Life in Mission
09/01/2012 -- At 92, Mary Ellen Owen has lived a lot of history -- and she's still committed to Christian mission through United Methodist Women.
- ID Laws that Prevent People from Voting in the November Election
08/30/2012 -- United Methodist Women are concerned about Pennsylvania and other states seeking to disenfranchise many voters by the new law that requires an identification card.
- United Methodist Women National Policymaking Body Files Joint Brief on Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
08/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women’s national policymaking body and the General Board of Church and Society jointly filed a brief with the Judicial Council of The United Methodist Church Aug. 24 in support of general church agencies’ continued work with the Religious...
- Celebrating and Pushing for Women’s Equality and Leadership
08/22/2012 -- On August 26, we have the opportunity to celebrate Women’s Equality Day. While we can applaud the strides women have made, we still have a ways to go.
- Program Advisory Group 2012
08/08/2012 -- Portraits from the first Program Advisory Group Orientation held at Scarritt-Bennett, August 2012.
- Program Advisory Group Added to Lead United Methodist Women
07/25/2012 -- As United Methodist Women celebrate nominees to their board of directors, they also welcome nominees of the new entity: the Program Advisory Group.
- United Methodist Women Announces 2013-2016 Board of Directors
07/16/2012 -- United Methodist Women's outgoing leadership is offering an enthusiastic welcome of new elected leadership for the 2013-2016 Board of Directors.
- Is This Your Mother's UMW?
07/02/2012 -- On May 1, the 2012 United Methodist General Conference approved legislation to separate UMW and its administrative body, the Women’s Division, from the Board of Global Ministries, to which it had been related for decades.
- Responsively Yours: What Can You Imagine?
07/01/2012 -- Structural configurations alone will not make us the multigenerational, multicultural, multilingual, multiracial, Spirit-filled organization that we want to be. But if we imagine it and build it and work toward it, I believe that God will bless our effort...
- An Act of Repentance
07/01/2012 -- Delegates to General Conference 2012 used United Methodist Women resources to prepare for a service of atonement for a 1864 massacre native Americans; beyond repentance for past wrongs in the US, the service denounced modern-day genocidal policies and act...
- Is this your mother’s UMW?
06/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women starts a new chapter of its 143-year-old existence as a mission movement for women within The United Methodist Church.
- God's Beautiful Promise in Oklahoma
06/01/2012 -- From the start, Isabella Circle members set their mission sights on mentoring teenage girls in their church and community.
- Now For Something Completely Different
05/18/2012 -- I left Tampa on May 5 with hope bubbling up in my thoughts about possible structures for The United Methodist Church. Here’s what I saw.
- Get Involved With Your Conference Rapid Response Team
05/10/2012 -- The United Methodist Rapid Response Team mobilizes congregations to welcome immigrants and to advocate for just and humane immigration reform at the state and federal level.
- United Methodist Women and the Display That Wasn’t
05/03/2012 -- United Methodist Women didn’t have an exhibit at General Conference. Instead, they roped off their display area and set off on a flurry of learning and mission opportunities around Tampa, where General Conference is being held.
- General Conference Approves New Resolution on Peace in Afghanistan
05/02/2012 -- United Methodist Women proposed the resolution, “Seeking Peace in Afghanistan,” which passed at General Conference with amendments, and calls for The United Methodist Church to support an end to war and seek a process of peace in Afghanistan.
- Q & A with Cathy Capo Stone: Remember the Children Living in Poverty
05/01/2012 -- As adults discuss and make policy for The United Methodist Church, Ms. Cathy Capo Stone, executive director at Cornerstone Family Ministries, reminds us to not forget the impact of church work on inner-city children whom she cares for every day. Cornersto...
- General Conference Approves United Methodist Women Autonomy
05/01/2012 -- By a vote of 889 to 20, General Conference made United Methodist Women an autonomous organization within the United Methodist Church May 1 during its quadrennial meeting Tampa, Fla. The historic vote separates the national policymaking body of women organ...
- United Methodists Celebrate and Commission 40 New Deaconesses, Home Missioners and Missionaries
04/30/2012 -- A firefighter, a nursing supervisor, a counselor for ex-prisoners, an advocate for Haitian artists, an afterschool chess teacher, and a coordinator of relief volunteers – these were among the 17 new deaconesses and home missioners commissioned on Sund...
- Rally Highlights Private Prison Detention
04/28/2012 -- Coinciding with a rally to end the private prison industry’s increased detention-for-profit policies, United Methodist Women members descended on General Conference to declare Saturday, April 28, 2012 “United Methodist Women Day.”
- “Signs” of Life in Lay Ministries
04/27/2012 -- Mary E. Harris of Conway UMC in Orlando, Angela Liston of Morrison UMC in Leesburg, FL, Michelle Menefee of First UMC in Houston, TX, and Betty Ostrom of Pine Castle UMC in Orlando are laywomen composing the team of ASL interpreters for the 2012 General C...
- The Intersections of United Methodist Women and UMCOR
04/27/2012 -- A United Methodist Women MeetUp on Thursday, April 25 during General Conference highlighted the connectional ministries of United Methodist Women and the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
- The Theology of Glee: A General Conference “Gleetup”
04/26/2012 -- “Glee lifts up spiritual and theological questions, good and bad.” Rev. Becca Clark, clergywoman and a delegate from New England Conference led this MeetUp (one of sevaral to come) of United Methodist Women.
- End-of-Day Prayer Meetup, April 25
04/26/2012 -- Every day at General Conference, United Methodist Women is organizing end-of-day prayer gatherings for all–delegates, agency and conference staff, clergy, laity and visitors alike–to center themselves amidst the hectic schedules and grueling meetings requ...
- Rest for the Weary: United Methodist Women and Deaconesses Provide Room for Prayer
04/25/2012 -- A quiet space amid the bustle of General Conference is open to all the weary United Methodist delegates and guests looking for sanctuary and peace.
- Women, Youth, Race Monitoring Agencies Host Joint Pre-GC Briefing
04/24/2012 -- More than 500 people packed a ballroom of the Tampa Convention Center in Florida for a pre-conference briefing for delegates to the 2012 General Conference of the United Methodist Church, April 24.
- End-of-Day Prayer Meetup, April 24
04/24/2012 -- Thank you for this day, God. Thank you for the new day we will open our eyes to in the morning. Amen.
- Watch General Conference Events Live Online
04/23/2012 -- GC2012.umc.org will live-stream video of all plenary sessions, morning prayer and evening worship services, the Episcopal Address, Laity Address, Young People’s Address, Act of Repentance and other highlights.
- Marva Usher-Kerr: Profile of a General Conference Delegate On the Move
04/22/2012 -- “Are we going to deal with surface issues? Or are we going to deal with racism, classism, ageism? Are we going to deal with poverty?” Marva Usher-Kerr of Women’s Division prays that important mission issues remain in focus.
- Nebraska United Methodist Women Bring People Together for Immigration Seminar
04/22/2012 -- The Nebraska Conference and the United Methodist Seminar Program collaborated to host representatives from National Mission Institutions, a deaconess, students from Nebraska Wesleyan and even one Lutheran as well as United Methodist Women from across the...
- United Methodist Women in Ministry With Poor at General Conference
04/20/2012 -- United Methodist Women will participate in "Breaking Bread with Tampa," which is serving free lunches to the homeless during General Conference 2012.
- Tampa Event Geared to Immigrant Detention
04/18/2012 -- “Profit From Pain Is Inhumane! Dignity Not Detention” will be theme of a rally during General Conference 2012.
- Cutting-Edge Ministries and Commissioning of Deaconesses and Home Missioners
04/17/2012 -- These women and men follow Jesus in ministering to those in the "margins of society." You can watch the April 29th service of commissioning online.
- Selena Smith, Firefighter, to Be Commissioned a Deaconess at General Conference
04/11/2012 -- She’s young, she’s a firefighter and she’s about to be the first South Carolina woman in years to be commissioned as a United Methodist deaconess during General Conference.
- Thomas Kemper Gives Remarks to 2009-2012 Women’s Division Directors
04/02/2012 -- The General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministries, Thomas Kemper, gave closing remarks on the legacy of directors at their final meeting of the 2009-2012 quadrennium, the Semi-Annual board meeting in Plano, Tex., March 15-19, 2012.
- Responsively Yours: Women and Children First
04/01/2012 -- Experience from economic development work around the world shows that when women are healthy and have access to employment and education, they invest in the health of the children and the community.
- Someone's Praying, Lord
03/27/2012 -- Ask God to give wisdom to the delegates to make decisions that will lift up the presence of the church as an effective witness in the world.
- Finding Our Self: United Methodist Women in the Next Quadrennium
03/20/2012 -- At the spring 2012 Women’s Division board meeting, Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson asks United Methodist Women to define itself as an organization that is part of the body of Christ.
- Women’s Division Directors Honored at Quadrennial Celebration
03/19/2012 -- At the semiannual board meeting in Plano, Texas, the Women’s Division honored the present configuration of directors and celebrated the exemplary work they did over the course of the 2009-2012 quadrennium.
- Why is it Important to Reduce our Carbon Footprint?
03/16/2012 -- God has given humans responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s stewards. The Bible’s message, however, goes beyond just calling us to manage natural resources wisely.
- How Can I Measure My Carbon Footprint?
03/16/2012 -- Free and easy tools can help individuals and organizations be greener.
- What Can I Do at Home?
03/16/2012 -- Know your footprint and work to lower it. Involve those you live with in making and implementing the plan.
- What Can I Do in My Local Church?
03/16/2012 -- Who is currently responsible for making decisions about your building and grounds? What policies currently exist at your church about environmental stewardship? Does your church already have a Green Team?
- What Can I Do in My Community?
03/16/2012 -- Many exciting initiatives related to addressing climate change and lowering greenhouse gas emissions are happening in cities and towns across the United States.
- What Can I Do as Part of My Annual Conference?
03/16/2012 -- Several United Methodist camp and conference center directors are helping lead the way in our denomination related to lowering greenhouse gas emissions and demonstrating other forms of Creation Care.
- It’s Time to Overturn the Tables
03/11/2012 -- In a Sunday school class I was in years ago we were asked, “Is anger a sin?” The incident described in John 2:13-22, in which Jesus turns over the tables of the moneychangers and those selling goods in the temple, is one of the most often cited examples o...
- Responsively Yours: First Hit Pause
03/09/2012 -- As we approach General Conference, how many of the concerns or fears impelling us to certain points of view are based on analyses that fit the past better than the present?
- The Secret
03/09/2012 -- The Church has a powerful role to play in destigmatizing substance abuse and supporting individuals and families facing addiction.
- Korean PDF - Responsively Yours: First Hit Pause
03/01/2012 -- Korean version of the monthly installment by Harriett Jane Olson.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- Micah Moments
01/31/2012 -- Women lead the church and their communities toward justice by organizing for mission.
- Not Without Hope: Healed and Free
01/06/2012 -- All she wanted was a good paying job. Instead, Anna (not her real name), from Yerevan, Armenia, ended up working for her captors and enduring a traumatic five-month ordeal of forced prostitution in Dubai.
- United Methodists in Nepal Host Women and Youth Event
01/03/2012 -- The Lord has been so faithful and wonderful. I’d like to thank United Methodist Women very much for your prayers and financial support. Without your willingness to assist and trust in us, our two events would have never been possible. Finally we could suc...
- Women, War and Peace: Three Women Win the Nobel Prize for Peace
12/21/2011 -- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is the first woman to be elected head of state in Africa and she ushered in peace after a 14-year civil war. Leymah Gbowee founded Women, Peace and Security Network Africa, and is known for organizing a women’s peace protest that inc...
- United Methodist Women: Amend Discipline Paragraph 256.5
12/09/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall be organized in every local church.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Conference: Amend Discipline Paragraph 647
12/08/2011 -- In each annual conference there shall be a conference organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the jurisdiction and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Jurisdiction: Amend Discipline Paragraph 536
12/08/2011 -- In each jurisdiction there shall be a jurisdiction organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the national organization of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.1
12/07/2011 -- There shall be in The United Methodist Church the Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the District: Amend Discipline Paragraph 669
12/07/2011 -- In each district there shall be a district organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the conference and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.5
12/06/2011 -- Delete ¶ 1314.6.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.4
12/06/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner shall hold church membership in a local church within the conference where her/his appointment is located and shall be a voting member of the charge conference of that church.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraphs 1314.2, 1314.3, 1314.7
12/06/2011 -- Deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, are professionally trained persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christlike service under the authority of the Church.
- Supporting the Work of Deaconesses and Home Missioners: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1317
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization shall retain staff whose primary assignment is to represent deaconesses and home missioners on a national level and to maintain a community of professionally competent persons who are committed to service und...
- Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1316
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization will organize the Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.9
12/05/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner may request a leave of absence according to the administrative guidelines and procedures of United Methodist Women.
- Responsibilities: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1319
12/04/2011 -- Multiple changes and improvements to text.
- Women’s Division: New paragraph before Discipline Paragraph 1318
12/04/2011 -- There shall be an organization called United Methodist Women in The United Methodist Church in the United States, organized at the local church, district, conference, jurisdiction and national levels.
- Structure: Delete Discipline Paragraph 1322
12/03/2011 -- Not needed due to proposed revisions of ¶ 1321.
- Organization: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1321
12/03/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women may elect an executive committee of such membership as it may determine, which shall exercise the powers of the board ad interim.
- Authority: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1320
12/03/2011 -- The Board of Directors of United Methodist Women shall meet at least annually and at such other times as it may deem necessary.
- Membership of the Board of Directors: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1325
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall have a board of directors composed of 25 members as follows: 20 shall be laywomen elected by the jurisdiction organizations of United Methodist Women at quadrennial meetings (¶ 536.4); and five shall be laywomen elected by the...
- United Methodist Women Program Advisory Group: Add after Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall organize a Program Advisory Group to provide input at regular intervals to the board of directors about the program and planning of the organization.
- Finances: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1324
12/02/2011 -- The funds for the fulfillment of the responsibilities of United Methodist Women shall be derived from annual voluntary pledges, offerings, gifts, devises, bequests, annuities, or money received through special emphases and meetings held in the interest of...
- Assembly: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1323
12/02/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women shall determine the time and place of meeting and the purpose of the Assembly.
- My Faith Journey
12/01/2011 -- A woman finds her voice and gifts organizing for mission.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey. The Lord looked and was displeased that there was no justice. G...
- Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing.
- Caring for God’s Creation: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- God has given humankind responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s steward.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan: General Conference 2012 Resolution
12/01/2011 -- Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit says the Lord of hosts. —Zechariah 4:6
- Celebrate International Migrants Day, December 18
11/17/2011 -- In this time of Advent, the United Methodist Task Force on Immigration invites United Methodists to lift up the global and local realities of migrants on December 18 in worship and prayer.
- United Methodist Delegation to Attend Migrant Rights Convention in Geneva, Switzerland
11/17/2011 -- A General Board of Global Ministries delegation will attend the People’s Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland, November 28–December 2, 2011.
- Adventures in Grace
11/15/2011 -- For members and seekers of Grace Adventures United Methodist Church, church happens where it happens, and when and where it happens is an adventure in grace.
- United Methodist Mission Delegation to Attend Global Events on Migration, Development and Human Rights
11/15/2011 -- Global Ministries, including United Methodist Women, has organized a delegation highly representative of areas where The United Methodist Church and its mission partners are challenged by migration issues.
- Trafficking Survivor Rediscovers a World of Beauty
11/10/2011 -- Mariam* was just 15 years old when her parents married her to a man 20 years her senior. She worked day and night, a servant to her husband’s extended family, and was not allowed to sleep until her husband came home. He was connected to a world of crime a...
11/04/2011 -- United Methodists call for education and dialogue on a popular technique for natural gas drilling.
- Rooted in Justice
11/04/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s work for peace and justice has 140-year-old roots.
- Isabella Thoburn College Celebrates 125 Years
11/01/2011 -- Ubuntu eXplorers to India are celebrating with Isabella Thoburn College as it marks 125 years educating women.
- United Methodist Women Sunday: Example Service
10/12/2011 -- Prepared by the East Ohio Conference United Methodist Women leadership, this UMW Sunday order of service can be adapted to suit the context and needs of any local UMW organization.
- Report of the Deputy General Secretary
10/10/2011 -- On Friday October 7, Women’s Division Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson addressed the Women’s Division board of directors at their annual fall meeting. With the message “Shaping the Future,” Ms. Olson spoke of how the current work of United Met...
- Responsively Yours: Acting Like Hope
10/05/2011 -- Imagine the United Methodist Church as an influential voice in the local community and the world, inviting change, restoration, healing and a deep Christian spiritual formation that sustains us in addressing injustice and brokenness in the world.
10/05/2011 -- A childhood dream for Christian service is realized in United Methodist Women.
- Criminalization of Communities of Color
10/05/2011 -- Racial disparities in the nation's legal system continue to challenge fairness and equal justice.
- Cordialmente Tuya: Esperanza en Acción
10/01/2011 -- "¿Qué es lo que necesitamos hoy en la Iglesia Metodista Unida?", esta fue la pregunta que hizo una líder de un seminario. Como era temprano en la mañana, quizás perdí algo de su presentación, pero parecía que su pregunta reclamaba una respuesta.
- United Methodist Church Follows Jesus' Lead: Immigration Task Force Moves Ministry to the Borders
09/20/2011 -- "Jesus learned new things when he went to the border," said Rev. Edgar Avitia, who led the worship in Florida for US-based missionaries of The United Methodist Church.
- Discernment Event for Deaconesses and Home Missioners
09/08/2011 -- A discernment event has been organized in Asheville, N.C., October 28-30, 2011, to enable laypersons of The United Methodist Church who are living in the country to discern whether the deaconess or home missioner calling is for them.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate
09/02/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan
09/02/2011 -- For Afghans, the current war involving more than 100,000 foreign military troops is simply the latest in a long history of foreigners trying to impose by military might their own agenda in Afghanistan.
- The Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States
09/02/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing. The United Methodist Church needs to actively work to dismantle cu...
- Speaking Out For Justice
09/01/2011 -- Resolutions on reconciliation, racial justice, climate change and peace make their way to the 2012 General Conference in Tampa, Fla.
- Religion Communicators Call for Civil Discourse About 9/11
09/01/2011 -- The Religion Communicators Council urged journalists and bloggers to "pursue accuracy, respect and understanding of people of all faiths and faith communities." The statement is in a resolution adopted Aug. 7, 2011 in Philadelphia by the board of governor...
- Ubuntu Explorer Journeys: Sierra Leone 2011
08/15/2011 -- Join United Methodist Women in Sierra Leone to affirm the vital role of women in the United Methodist Church today and to engage with these sisters in worship, workshops, mission outreach and fellowship at their annual meeting.
- United Methodist Women in Mission Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
07/27/2011 -- The year 2010 is an important time to lift up the heritage and future of United Methodist Women in mission. This year marks two special anniversaries. One hundred years ago in Edinburgh, Scotland, Protestant mission societies gathered from around th...
- United Methodist Women in Mission Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow (Part 2 of 2)
07/27/2011 -- The year 2010 is an important time to lift up the heritage and future of United Methodist Women in mission. This year marks two special anniversaries. One hundred years ago in Edinburgh, Scotland, Protestant mission societies gathered from around the worl...
- 2011 Global Justice Volunteers Africa Program
07/25/2011 -- From July 3 to July 11, 2011, young people from across Africa gathered together in Nairobi, Kenya, to prepare for their eight-week term as Global Justice Volunteers (GJV).
- Prayers From Duluth
07/08/2011 -- A newly retired woman finds another home for her faith and mission.
- Disarming Might, Reconciling Enemies, Loving Resistance
07/08/2011 -- What lessons might we in churches learn about the task of reconciliation from these recent popular uprisings? Reconciliation takes place from the bottom up.
- Voices: A Transformative Leadership Event
06/23/2011 -- Las participantes en el evento—coordinadores de idiomas y presidentas conferénciales—vinieron de 34 conferencias a través de los Estados Unidos. Entre las presentes se identificaron 10 idiomas, incluyendo inglés.
- My Understanding of Mission
06/23/2011 -- Keynote Address at Voices: A Transformative Leadership Event for United Methodist Women Language Coordinators and Presidents.
- The Peacemakers
06/20/2011 -- JustPeace Center equips the church to engage conflict head on with love
- Farming Uphill in Haiti
06/10/2011 -- For the better part of two centuries, since Haiti gained independence from France in 1804, the indescribably resilient people of rural Haiti have been forced to farm uphill, both literally and figuratively.
- Lois McCullough Dauway to be Honored at the New York City Area Circles of Names Gathering
06/03/2011 -- Lois M. Dauway has a long and storied career of Christian service in the United Methodist Church and the ecumenical arena that showed the Gospel to the world. Ms. Dauway served as Interim Deputy General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministr...
- Haitian Methodist Women and Men Making a Difference
06/02/2011 -- Local Haitians are the unsung heroines and heroes of the earthquake recovery story. Here are portraits of a few Haitians, Methodist sisters and brothers, who in the words of LeGrace Benson, “have been rehearsing and performing this theater since that firs...
- Cordialmente Suya: Preparadas para Nuestros Próximos 100 Años en Misión
06/01/2011 -- ¡Este es un buen momento para ser miembro de las Mujeres Metodistas Unidas!
- Restorative Justice: Moving Beyond Punishment
05/24/2011 -- This mission study from 2002 is a response to the call of The United Methodist Church to focus upon Restorative Justice ministries in light of the prison-industrial complex, and offers a vision of restoration and healing over isolation and punishment.
- The United Methodist Church Seeks Forgiveness
05/16/2011 -- In 2005, the annual conferences of The United Methodist Church focused on confession and healing in the area of racism in the church.
- Honoring God's Creation
04/20/2011 -- There are many ways you can honor the sacredness of Creation. You may already have plans for your UMW unit and congregation. If you do not, here are some ideas.
- Learn About United Methodist Church Policy on Immigration
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women's work for immigrant and civil rights is based on United Methodist policy as affirmed by General Conference in 2008.
- FAQs for Women's Division Proposed Structural Separation
04/11/2011 -- Directors of the Women's Division approved a proposal to structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries while continuing to work together in mutual areas of mission.
- Quilting a Future in Mission
04/10/2011 -- Women’s Division’s Harriett Jane Olson prepares division directors to consider proposals to restructure the women’s mission organization in an address filled with images of quilting at the division’s spring board meeting in Stamford, Conn., April 7-11.
- Women’s Division Proposes Becoming “Structurally Separate, Missionally Connected” to Global Ministries
04/10/2011 -- The Women’s Division board voted to become structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM) while remaining “missionally connected” in staff configuration and by board directors at its recent meeting, April 7-11 in Stamford, Conn.
- Set apart, lay people vow a life of service
04/08/2011 -- On April 7 10 deaconess candidates, along with one home missioner, were commissioned in the chapel of the Interchurch Center as part of the spring meeting of United Methodist Women.
- A People’s Cathedral in Wisconsin
04/01/2011 -- A United Methodist reports from the struggle for worker’s rights in Madison, Wisc.
- Church Agencies Battle Human Trafficking
03/31/2011 -- When Maria, an Armenian citizen, ended up in Dubai, she resisted attempts by her traffickers to force her into prostitution.
- Finding Refuge, Hope and Healing from Abuse
03/21/2011 -- Some victims of domestic violence are finding places of hope and healing in The United Methodist Church.
- Mission Agency in Prayer for Japan, Mission Personnel and Volunteers Safe
03/14/2011 -- The United Methodist Church's mission agency expressed deep concern for the people of Japan and its own personnel and partners in that country in the wake of the devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
- Community Gardens
03/01/2011 -- Creating or maintaining a community garden is a vital, new mission opportunity for United Methodist Women.
- Believe Out Loud
02/28/2011 -- We affirm our belief in the inestimable worth of each individual because we are human beings created by God and loved through and by Jesus Christ, and we affirm all persons as equally valuable in the sight of God.
- Women Share Their Stories at UN event
02/24/2011 -- 26-year-old Taurai Sandra Chinyerere is among the women sharing stories, advice and solidarity during the Feb. 22–March 4 meeting of the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. The United Methodist Women’s 20-member ecumenical delegation ...
- Escuchemos y dialoguemos guiados por el Espíritu Santo y el mensaje de Dios
02/01/2011 -- A fines del año 2010, alguien escribió en su red de comunicación social que deseaba que la Iglesia Metodista desapareciera. Esto fue en respuesta a un cartel que apoyaba la ley DREAM (Sueño) en el Edificio Metodista de la ciudad de Washington, DC. Quizás ...
- Listening for God in Christian Conferencing: Korean Text
02/01/2011 -- Responsively Yours in Korean
- Responsively Yours: Listening for God in Christian Conferencing
02/01/2011 -- In Christian conferencing we practice a discipline of listening to God through worship, Bible study and listening to each other in deep conversations and sometimes debate.
- Atlantic Street Center Celebrates 100 Years
02/01/2011 -- In 2010, Atlantic Street Center—a youth-focused social service agency in Seattle, Washington—celebrated 100 years of service to the city’s citizens. The center began life in 1910 when it was founded by two young women. One was a teacher; the other, a nurs...
- Ending Human Trafficking, One Life at a Time
01/28/2011 -- Alisa* fell prey to a human trafficker in her hometown in Armenia. She was just 20 years old and the single mother of a nine-month-old baby. The trafficker forced Alisa into prostitution by threatening to kidnap her young child if she did not do as he sai...
- Mobilize Your Church and Community
01/04/2011 -- Actions you can take to help raise awareness in your church.
- Tools for Domestic Violence Awareness
01/04/2011 -- Links, resources and phone numbers to fight Domestic Violence
- Free Webinars on Faith and Domestic Violence
01/04/2011 -- United Methodist Women is offering a series of free webinars on Wednesdays from February 16 to March 2, 2011. Topics cover how people of faith, churches and clergy can help stop domestic violence and help victims.
- Get "I Believe You" On the Air Again
01/03/2011 -- Call your local NBC affiliate and make sure the documentary airs often and during prime time viewing hours.
- A Place to Call Home
11/01/2010 -- Mary Elizabeth Inn offers once homeless women in San Francisco safety, support and the stability of house keys.
- United Methodist Women Honored at UMAC
10/27/2010 -- United Methodist Women received awards at the annual meeting of the United Methodist Association of Communicators.
- Organizing for Mission
10/13/2010 -- United Methodist Women President Inelda González addressed directors, guests and staff at the annual Women’s Division board of directors fall meeting, paying tribute to the work of early women missionaries and challenging attendees to be proactive in miss...
- Very Much In Control
10/12/2010 -- The Rev. Dr. Aleese Moore-Orbih of FaithTrust Institute led directors, staff and guests in a domestic violence awareness education session the Women’s Division Annual board of directors meeting in Stamford, Conn.
- Love, Rice and Beans
10/01/2010 -- United Methodist Women members from Westminster, Md., help with dinner and fix homes in the Dominican Republic.
- The Power of Words: Curses, Blessings and Interfaith Dialogue
09/30/2010 -- Engaging in interfaith dialogue is a way to follow Paul’s guidance and to bless those who are different from us, those who threaten us and even those who we feel persecute us (and be blessed by them in return).
- UMC Bishop Thomas Bickerton Speaks on Ending Malaria Deaths at U.N. Panel
09/22/2010 -- United Methodist Women had a presence at the U.N. Week’s Digital Media Lounge Tuesday during which a panel discussion was held about malaria that included United Methodist Bishop Thomas Bickerton, who spearheads the Nothing But Nets campaign.
- No More Silence
06/18/2010 -- The Church has an important role to play in protecting women and girls against violence and abuse.
- Church and Community Workers: 125 Years of Mission and Counting
10/01/2009 -- Gallant, Alabama, October 1, 2009--A year-long celebration will mark the 125th anniversary of a United Methodist missionary movement devoted to the ministry with the poor and marginalized in the United States.
- African United Methodists Elect Woman Bishop
07/23/2008 -- The Rev. Joaquina Filipe Nhanala was elected July 23, 2008, as the first female United Methodist bishop in Africa.
- "Holy Conferencing": Speaking to One Another as Christians Despite Differing Views
10/08/2007 -- Stamford, CT., October 7, 2007-- A set for guidelines for helping United Methodists talk among themselves about important, even controversial, matters without falling into acrimony and name calling has been developed for use as the denomination moves towa...
Return to the original article.