Free Web Space Rules and Guidelines
The General Board of Global Ministries discontinued the free web hosting program effective January 1, 2012. The following agreement is for the reference of groups who already had websites prior to that date.
For United Methodist Women's Organizations Using GBGM's Web Space:
- The Women's Division of General Board of Global Ministries will provide web space up to 20 megabytes free of charge for each United Methodist Women's group that is approved. All agreements are to be renewed in June of each year, no matter what time during the year that they were made. Renewal shall be automatic unless otherwise notified.
- The General Board of Global Ministries and/or the Women's Division reserves the right to revise the terms and conditions for free web space without notice.
- Cost for HTML markup and maintenance of each group's web pages are borne by the group itself.
- Each group is to have an official person(s) who is responsible for the maintenance of the home page and an official contact person, who may or may not be the one maintaining the pages on the server itself. Via the online Application Form , local units are to send the name, address, phone number, and e-mail (if applicable) of the United Methodist Women's president, one clergy appointed to the unit's church, and the person(s) who are responsible for working with the person who is doing the site maintenance. In the case of districts, conferences and jurisdiction Core Planning Groups, the president should sign and a contact person be named.
- The material on the United Methodist Women's pages on The General Board of Global Ministries' server are not to break the law, including the International Copyright law.
- The General Board of Global Ministries will make sufficient effort to have the web server online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but there will be times when the server is down for maintenance, upgrading, electronic problems, problems with its Internet service provider, or the entire Internet.
- No web page hosted at GBGM may display commercial advertising.
- The submission of an application for free web space constitutes acceptance of the terms and conditions as outlined in this document.
Style and Content of Web Pages
- Each United Methodist Women's group which has space on The General Board of Global Ministries' web server is responsible for and in control of the style and content of its own home pages, as long as the pages are in keeping with the Purpose of United Methodist Women.
- Each group's home pages are to include some information on its page about how it is involved in Christian mission. The home pages are to represent and reflect the church institution which sponsors it in terms of content; they are not to be used as "personal web pages" for an individual.
- Each group is asked to post an acknowledgment (in HTML language) to GBGM at least once on its site. If the acknowledgement is posted only once, it should be in the index (main) home page of the institution. Below is a sample acknowledgment:
The space for this web site has been provided courtesy of the Women's Division, General Board of Global Ministries, The United Methodist Church. The content of these home pages is the responsibility of insert name. Please send feedback to insert e-mail address.
- Each group will be assigned an httpdirectory for its web pages that is linked to a shell account. Files are put in the shell account but appear in the http subdirectory. Groups can make subdirectories within their own directory.
The General Board of Global Ministries is not liable for damages of any kind caused by messages left in e-mail or otherwise stored on its computer system, nor is it liable for any damages to equipment, modems, software, etc.
The General Board of Global Ministries makes no warranty of any type, kind, or implied. No guarantees are offered of any sort now or into the future. Lost or misdirected messages/information, war, phone line loss/noise, equipment failure, virus invasion, etc., are not the responsibility of The General Board of Global Ministries. the websysop, or assigns.
The General Board of Global Ministries makes no representations or warranties, either express or implied, as to the accuracy of information held on this server for other organizations or its fitness for any purpose whatsover. In no event will The General Board of Global Ministries be liable for any direct, indirect, special incidental or consequential damages arising out of the information held for other organizations on this server.