We found 74 additional articles filed under guide. They're listed below, most recent first.
- District and Conference Bylaws
12/10/2013 -- Updated bylaws appear in the United Methodist Women Handbook 2013-2016.
- Contribute to United Methodist Women’s Living Timeline!
09/30/2013 -- We invite you to tell the story of the United Methodist Women member in your life who has instilled in you the hope, determination and drive to Make It Happen for others. Your stories, photos, videos and artwork will become part of Make It Happen: A Livin...
- Tools for Leaders: Hope and Hospitality
02/15/2013 -- United Methodist Women has advocated for immigrant rights for more than 140 years. This manual helps equip our response with Bible studies, progams, worship resources, policy statements, issues discussions and social action steps. (PDF, 304pp,12M)
- Revisiting the Rev. King’s Call to Action in His “Beyond Vietnam” Speech
01/15/2013 -- Reflecting on passages from his “Beyond Vietnam” speech reveals Dr. King’s words as enduringly prophetic and persistent.
- How Will Recent Changes to United Methodist Women Affect Local Women?
12/01/2012 -- The 2012 General Conference allowed United Methodist Women to separate from the General Board of Global Ministries and become an official independent organization within the United Methodist Church. Since then, many members have been inquiring about how t...
- Violence in Gaza: What United Methodist Women Supports in Israel-Palestine
11/29/2012 -- We grieve over this and call on United Methodist women to keep the conflict in your prayers and thoughts. United Methodist Women supports many projects in Israel-Palestine.
- Hershey's Fair Trade
11/01/2012 -- United Methodist voices help persuade chocolate company to address child labor.
- United Methodist Women National Policymaking Body Files Joint Brief on Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
08/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women’s national policymaking body and the General Board of Church and Society jointly filed a brief with the Judicial Council of The United Methodist Church Aug. 24 in support of general church agencies’ continued work with the Religious...
- Electing Candidates Committed to Positively Transforming the Lives of Women, Girls and Families
08/28/2012 -- We come to you this month with a different format for our Action Alert in preparation for this year’s elections. We have provided a “2012 Candidate Checklist: A Questionnaire for Candidates Seeking Election” for you to use while following this year’s elec...
- Is This Your Mother's UMW?
07/02/2012 -- On May 1, the 2012 United Methodist General Conference approved legislation to separate UMW and its administrative body, the Women’s Division, from the Board of Global Ministries, to which it had been related for decades.
- Is this your mother’s UMW?
06/29/2012 -- United Methodist Women starts a new chapter of its 143-year-old existence as a mission movement for women within The United Methodist Church.
- Now For Something Completely Different
05/18/2012 -- I left Tampa on May 5 with hope bubbling up in my thoughts about possible structures for The United Methodist Church. Here’s what I saw.
- General Conference Approves New Resolution on Peace in Afghanistan
05/02/2012 -- United Methodist Women proposed the resolution, “Seeking Peace in Afghanistan,” which passed at General Conference with amendments, and calls for The United Methodist Church to support an end to war and seek a process of peace in Afghanistan.
- General Conference Approves United Methodist Women Autonomy
05/01/2012 -- By a vote of 889 to 20, General Conference made United Methodist Women an autonomous organization within the United Methodist Church May 1 during its quadrennial meeting Tampa, Fla. The historic vote separates the national policymaking body of women organ...
- Women, Youth, Race Monitoring Agencies Host Joint Pre-GC Briefing
04/24/2012 -- More than 500 people packed a ballroom of the Tampa Convention Center in Florida for a pre-conference briefing for delegates to the 2012 General Conference of the United Methodist Church, April 24.
- Marva Usher-Kerr: Profile of a General Conference Delegate On the Move
04/22/2012 -- “Are we going to deal with surface issues? Or are we going to deal with racism, classism, ageism? Are we going to deal with poverty?” Marva Usher-Kerr of Women’s Division prays that important mission issues remain in focus.
- Cutting-Edge Ministries and Commissioning of Deaconesses and Home Missioners
04/17/2012 -- These women and men follow Jesus in ministering to those in the "margins of society." You can watch the April 29th service of commissioning online.
- Thomas Kemper Gives Remarks to 2009-2012 Women’s Division Directors
04/02/2012 -- The General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministries, Thomas Kemper, gave closing remarks on the legacy of directors at their final meeting of the 2009-2012 quadrennium, the Semi-Annual board meeting in Plano, Tex., March 15-19, 2012.
- Responsively Yours: Women and Children First
04/01/2012 -- Experience from economic development work around the world shows that when women are healthy and have access to employment and education, they invest in the health of the children and the community.
- Someone's Praying, Lord
03/27/2012 -- Ask God to give wisdom to the delegates to make decisions that will lift up the presence of the church as an effective witness in the world.
- Carbon Footprint Toolkit
03/26/2012 -- Find out what you can do in your home, your church, your community and your annual conference to help stop climate change.
- Finding Our Self: United Methodist Women in the Next Quadrennium
03/20/2012 -- At the spring 2012 Women’s Division board meeting, Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson asks United Methodist Women to define itself as an organization that is part of the body of Christ.
- Why is it Important to Reduce our Carbon Footprint?
03/16/2012 -- God has given humans responsibility for the care and keeping of the earth as God’s stewards. The Bible’s message, however, goes beyond just calling us to manage natural resources wisely.
- How Can I Measure My Carbon Footprint?
03/16/2012 -- Free and easy tools can help individuals and organizations be greener.
- What Can I Do at Home?
03/16/2012 -- Know your footprint and work to lower it. Involve those you live with in making and implementing the plan.
- What Can I Do in My Local Church?
03/16/2012 -- Who is currently responsible for making decisions about your building and grounds? What policies currently exist at your church about environmental stewardship? Does your church already have a Green Team?
- What Can I Do in My Community?
03/16/2012 -- Many exciting initiatives related to addressing climate change and lowering greenhouse gas emissions are happening in cities and towns across the United States.
- What Can I Do as Part of My Annual Conference?
03/16/2012 -- Several United Methodist camp and conference center directors are helping lead the way in our denomination related to lowering greenhouse gas emissions and demonstrating other forms of Creation Care.
- Delegates Meet, Apply Gender Justice Lens to General Conference Legislation
02/24/2012 -- Eighty delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church attended a briefing critically analyzing the impact of proposed legislation on women in advance of the quadrennial policy-making event.
- Proposed Restructure of United Methodist Women
02/15/2012 -- United Methodist Women and Global Ministries are bringing legislation to General Conference 2012 that will implement a comprehensive plan to restructure United Methodist Women. The 140-year movement of women organizing for mission looks forward to ano...
- How to Make a Bible Study Video
01/10/2012 -- You can make your own Bible study video! It’s easier than you might think. Anyone with a video camera, digital camera, flip camera or smartphone, some basic editing equipment and a little creativity can make a video.
- United Methodist Women: Amend Discipline Paragraph 256.5
12/09/2011 -- United Methodist Women shall be organized in every local church.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Conference: Amend Discipline Paragraph 647
12/08/2011 -- In each annual conference there shall be a conference organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the jurisdiction and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the Jurisdiction: Amend Discipline Paragraph 536
12/08/2011 -- In each jurisdiction there shall be a jurisdiction organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the national organization of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.1
12/07/2011 -- There shall be in The United Methodist Church the Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner.
- Constitution of United Methodist Women in the District: Amend Discipline Paragraph 669
12/07/2011 -- In each district there shall be a district organization named United Methodist Women, directly related to the conference and national organizations of United Methodist Women.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.5
12/06/2011 -- Delete ¶ 1314.6.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.4
12/06/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner shall hold church membership in a local church within the conference where her/his appointment is located and shall be a voting member of the charge conference of that church.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraphs 1314.2, 1314.3, 1314.7
12/06/2011 -- Deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, are professionally trained persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christlike service under the authority of the Church.
- Supporting the Work of Deaconesses and Home Missioners: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1317
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization shall retain staff whose primary assignment is to represent deaconesses and home missioners on a national level and to maintain a community of professionally competent persons who are committed to service und...
- Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1316
12/05/2011 -- United Methodist Women’s national organization will organize the Committee on Deaconess and Home Missioner Service.
- General Provisions: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1314.9
12/05/2011 -- A deaconess or home missioner may request a leave of absence according to the administrative guidelines and procedures of United Methodist Women.
- Responsibilities: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1319
12/04/2011 -- Multiple changes and improvements to text.
- Women’s Division: New paragraph before Discipline Paragraph 1318
12/04/2011 -- There shall be an organization called United Methodist Women in The United Methodist Church in the United States, organized at the local church, district, conference, jurisdiction and national levels.
- Structure: Delete Discipline Paragraph 1322
12/03/2011 -- Not needed due to proposed revisions of ¶ 1321.
- Organization: Amend Discipline Paragraph 1321
12/03/2011 -- The board of directors of United Methodist Women may elect an executive committee of such membership as it may determine, which shall exercise the powers of the board ad interim.
- Celebrate International Migrants Day, December 18
11/17/2011 -- In this time of Advent, the United Methodist Task Force on Immigration invites United Methodists to lift up the global and local realities of migrants on December 18 in worship and prayer.
- United Methodist Delegation to Attend Migrant Rights Convention in Geneva, Switzerland
11/17/2011 -- A General Board of Global Ministries delegation will attend the People’s Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland, November 28–December 2, 2011.
- Report of the Deputy General Secretary
10/10/2011 -- On Friday October 7, Women’s Division Deputy General Secretary Harriett Jane Olson addressed the Women’s Division board of directors at their annual fall meeting. With the message “Shaping the Future,” Ms. Olson spoke of how the current work of United Met...
- Human Trafficking: A Resource for Preventing, Protecting, Prosecuting (PDF)
09/30/2011 -- Join United Methodist Women in the global movement to end the complex web of sexual slavery, prostitution and labor bondage.
- Speaking Out for Compassion and Against Hate
09/02/2011 -- So justice is driven back and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.
- Seeking Peace in Afghanistan
09/02/2011 -- For Afghans, the current war involving more than 100,000 foreign military troops is simply the latest in a long history of foreigners trying to impose by military might their own agenda in Afghanistan.
- The Criminalization of Communities of Color in the United States
09/02/2011 -- There is an increase in mass incarceration in the United States that disproportionately impacts people of color due to institutionalized racism, racial profiling, and mandatory sentencing. The United Methodist Church needs to actively work to dismantle cu...
- Speaking Out For Justice
09/01/2011 -- Resolutions on reconciliation, racial justice, climate change and peace make their way to the 2012 General Conference in Tampa, Fla.
- Right Relationships: Video and Study Guide
09/01/2011 -- The tragic events of September 11th traumatized the entire world. In its wake, interfaith dialogue was overshadowed by discrimination, media sensationalism, and a loss of respect for people of different faiths. The Christian community must help re-open th...
- An Interfaith Dialogue Model in Atlanta, Georgia
09/01/2011 -- In the United States I discovered that Christians knew little about other faiths and considered it unnecessary to learn because Christ’s way was sufficient. As a graduate and then a college professor and a church member, I developed a deep yearning to sha...
- Disarming Might, Reconciling Enemies, Loving Resistance
07/08/2011 -- What lessons might we in churches learn about the task of reconciliation from these recent popular uprisings? Reconciliation takes place from the bottom up.
- Same Difference: A Study Guide to Facilitate Interfaith Dialogue
05/24/2011 -- Called to Be Neighbors and Witnesses: Matthew 22:37–39; Truth-telling and Listening: Mark 14:17–18; Rehumanizing the Other: Matthew 22:38–39, Matthew 6:12; Called to the Ministry of Reconciliation: 2 Corinthians 5:16–20, Matthew 5:9
- Honoring God's Creation
04/20/2011 -- There are many ways you can honor the sacredness of Creation. You may already have plans for your UMW unit and congregation. If you do not, here are some ideas.
- Challenge State Anti-immigration Laws
04/19/2011 -- Arizona's introduction of anti-immigrant law State Bill 1070 in April 2010 has caused a great stir. The law has come to symbolize both the anger toward new immigrants and states' frustration that Congress has not acted to fix the nation's broken immigrati...
- Challenge U.S. Immigrant Detention and Deportation Policies
04/19/2011 -- The U.S. government detained nearly 400,000 people in immigration custody in some 350 facilities at an annual cost of more than $1.7 billion in 2009. The number of detention beds has grown to more than 33,000, with construction of more facilitie...
- Visit Migrants in Detention in Your Community
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women partners with the Detention Watch Network (DWN) to resource local involvement in detention visitation. DWN has created a network of groups visiting detention centers and a manual for starting an ecumenical program. They are re...
- Learn About United Methodist Church Policy on Immigration
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women's work for immigrant and civil rights is based on United Methodist policy as affirmed by General Conference in 2008.
- Organize a Public Witness for Immigrant Rights
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women members have a long history of public witness for social justice. Recently, United Methodist Women members have been mobilizing to speak out publicly for immigrant rights across the country.
- Create a Conference United Methodist Women Immigration Team
04/19/2011 -- United Methodist Women in the Desert Southwest Conference has created a team to work on immigrant rights. They work on the United Methodist Women Immigrant/Civil Rights Initiative, which is one of United Methodist Women's four key social justi...
- FAQs for Women's Division Proposed Structural Separation
04/11/2011 -- Directors of the Women's Division approved a proposal to structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries while continuing to work together in mutual areas of mission.
- Women’s Division Proposes Becoming “Structurally Separate, Missionally Connected” to Global Ministries
04/10/2011 -- The Women’s Division board voted to become structurally separate from the General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM) while remaining “missionally connected” in staff configuration and by board directors at its recent meeting, April 7-11 in Stamford, Conn.
- A People’s Cathedral in Wisconsin
04/01/2011 -- A United Methodist reports from the struggle for worker’s rights in Madison, Wisc.
- Believe Out Loud
02/28/2011 -- We affirm our belief in the inestimable worth of each individual because we are human beings created by God and loved through and by Jesus Christ, and we affirm all persons as equally valuable in the sight of God.
- Green Holiday Ideas
12/09/2010 -- We offer ideas for celebrating the holiday season with the Christian call to environmental stewardship in mind.
- Women as Peacemakers, Women as Decision Makers
10/12/2010 -- From Oct. 18-29, the United Nations and women’s and civil society organizations will celebrate 10 years of UNSCR 1325.
- The Power of Words: Curses, Blessings and Interfaith Dialogue
09/30/2010 -- Engaging in interfaith dialogue is a way to follow Paul’s guidance and to bless those who are different from us, those who threaten us and even those who we feel persecute us (and be blessed by them in return).
- Resurrection Women Leader's and Participant's Manual Now Available
08/25/2010 -- Resurrection Women, a retreat for United Methodist Women, is now available for PDF download from the Mission Resource Center.
- A Response to the United States Health Care Reform Legislation
01/07/2010 -- Recent legislation passed by both houses of Congress put forth attempts at broadening access to health insurance, but both bills are troublesome in the way they address the most vulnerable among us.
Return to the original article.