Electing Candidates Committed to Changing Lives for Women, Girls, and Families
We come to you this month with a different format for our Action Alert in preparation for this year’s mid-term elections. We have provided below a “2010 Candidate Checklist: A Questionnaire for Candidates Seeking Election” for you to use while following this year’s election. We hope you will use the Checklist as a tool to assess whether a candidate’s positions reflect values supporting initiatives for women, girls, and families.
The Checklist can be used by taking the following suggested Actions: (Please keep in mind that all candidates should be asked to explain his/her support or opposition to an issue.)
- Organize a candidate forum and directly pose questions to candidates
- Monitor community or nationally televised debates and note candidates’ responses
- Attend a town hall meeting and ask questions from the Checklist
- Distribute copies of the Checklist to your district and local counterparts for use as bulletin and table handouts or for use in Legislative Event packets.
- Assess the election outcome. Convene a discussion group to determine how the “winner’s” views compared with issues you or your Conference support
- Convene a community dialogue around one of the categories on the Checklist. Reach a consensus on your point of view; schedule a meeting with your elected official to discuss the outcome of your dialogue.
Contact Susie Johnson, Executive Secretary of Public Policy of the Women's Division, with any questions: JohnsonS@unitedmethodistwomen.org or (202) 488-5660.