UMCOR Sager Brown and the Women’s Division: Working Together to Enhance Church’s Mission
By Susan J. Meister, Gulf Coast Communications
Since the early 1900s the Women's Division had owned and operated the Sager Brown Home and Godman School in Baldwin, La. Though the school closed in 1978, when Hurricane Andrew roared through southern Louisiana in 1992, the Women's Division and the United Methodist Committee on Relief, both units of the General Board of Global Ministries, decided to collaborate. Women's Division leased the property to UMCOR so the humanitarian agency could operate a relief ministry from the Sager Brown campus. Today, UMCOR Sager Brown uses the campus to manage worldwide collection and distribution of relief supplies. Volunteers and staff also maintain an active presence in outreach within the local community.
"This has been a very good relationship that has developed," explained Joyce Sohl, former deputy of the Women's Division. "It has certainly made a good use of the property."
Barbara Wheeler, Executive Secretary, Women's Division Communications, also celebrates this ongoing partnership. "The expansion of Sager Brown's mission with the community to include work that touches lives around the world is an example of United Methodist Women's ongoing commitment to mission," she wrote in an email.
In 2007, UMCOR Sager Brown celebrates 140 years of ministry. The campus was first used as an orphanage for African American children in 1867. A local celebration of the anniversary is scheduled for Saturday, April 21 in Baldwin.
For more about the history of UMCOR Sager Brown and the 140 th Anniversary, visit online.