Singing the Sacred:
Musical Gifts from Native American Communities
Music has always been an integral part of Native American life. There were songs for every conceivable event in life. Native American worship music is primarily a corporate, communal experience. Each piece is intended to invoke a blessing on the entire worshiping community. When you join in singing these songs we believe that you will experience that blessing. (From the Introduction by Rev. Alvin Deer, Editor)
Singing the Sacred: Musical Gifts from Native American Communities offers Native American Christian music from the diversity of the people called 'Native American' in the present day United States of America. Songs are included from the Mohawk of New York to the Native Hawaiians of the Hawaiian Island; from the Inupiat in the northern borders of the Alaska to the Tewa and Navajo of the Great Southwest.
This resource includes:
Twenty-one songs and hymns from more than fifteen Native American communities, carefully selected for their suitability for cross-cultural use.
Musical notation to each song, capturing and sharing the original tune.
Singable English translations.
Performance notes that provide:
Commentary on the communities of origin, the history, and how the song is experienced in Native American communities for each selection.
Suggestions of ways to incorporate the songs in traditional, blended, contemporary and emerging worship.
- O' Creator (Contemporary Blackfeet): mp3 wma
- Oh uh pa-gish ke che ingo' dwok /O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing (Ojibwe): mp3 wma
- Ke Aloha O Ka Haku / The Queen's Prayer (Hawaii): mp3 wma
- Lord, Have Mercy (Tewa Pueblo): mp3 wma
- O Sing and Honor Jesus (Arapaho): mp3 wma
- On the Beautiful Beyond (Oneida): mp3 wma
- Takwaienha / The Lord's Prayer (Mohawk): mp3 wma
- Orphan Child (Cherokee): mp3 wma
- One Drop of Blood (Cherokee): mp3 wma
- Ah-ho Dawk'ee / God, I thank you (Kiowa): mp3 wma
- Daw-k'yah towgyah thawy báht-awm / Take the Saving Word of God (Kiowa):
mp3 wmaPDF Sample from Songbook: (2 pp, 93 K)
- Esenehane Jesus / Jesus, Our Friend and Brother (Cheyenne): mp3 wma
- Heleluyvn Yvhikvres / Heleluyan We Are Singing (Muscogee Creek):
mp3 wmaPDF Sample from Songbook: (3 pp, 159 K
- Espoketis Omes Kerreskos / This Could Be the Last Time (Seminole/Muscogee Creek): mp3 wma
- Meditation on Death (Choctaw): mp3 wma
- Awakening and Inviting (Choctaw): mp3 wma
- Wocekiye Itancan / The Lord's Prayer (Contemporary Lakota): mp3 wma
- Uqpailugu ubluq illuqnan / Trusting Jesus (Inupiat): mp3 wma
- Amazing Grace (Lumbee): mp3 wma
- Nahasdzáán Nihimá / Mother Earth (Contemporary Navajo): mp3 wma
- Beautiful Great One (Contemporary Ojibwe): mp3 wma
To Order Global Praise Music:
Call the Cokesbury Music Service (1-877-877-8674)
Email your order to firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit Cokesbury.com to place an order online
Call Cokesbury (1-800-672-1789) or contact your local Cokesbury store
Wholesale vendors can contact Global Praise by email at email@example.com.