International Day of Prayer for Peace
21 September 2008
Witnessing to the Peace of God in Oceania
An Initiative of the World Council of Churches
It is important in the life of a child to begin to see that they too have the power to make a difference in a world that is plagued by violence. One way in which they can make a difference is by observing and supporting the International Day of Prayer for Peace.
Here are a few ideas of ways we can involve the children:
- • Organize a time of prayer and reflection in school or in the community.
- • Collect a special offering to support peace initiatives in your own community or abroad.
- • Hold an art contest of what a peaceful world would look like.
- • Study more about the Pacific Islands.
- • Learn a children's version of the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi using this coloring sheet: doc (1 pp, 40K)/ pdf (1 pp, 40K)
- • Make a bell to ring for peace: doc (1 pp, 30K) pdf (1 pp, 20K)
- • Write letters of concern for peace to your local politicians.
- • Visit the Decade to Overcome Violence website to find out what others are doing and to share additional resources. www.overcomingviolence.org
- • Check out the World Council of Churches' website at http://www.oikoumene.org and the United Nations website at http://www.idpvigil.com/ for more information about the International Day of Prayer for Peace.