Making a Gift Through Special Sunday Offerings
There are six special offerings - four of which support the work of Global Ministries: One Great Hour of Sharing, Native American Ministries Sunday, Human Relations Day, and World Communion Sunday.
- The One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) offering supports the cost of doing business for UMCOR. Because every dollar given to UMCOR goes to the program you designate, the OGHS offering is critical to UMCOR'S administrative work. (observed the fourth Sunday in Lent)
- Native American Ministries Sunday nurtures the mission with Native Americans and provides scholarships for United Methodist Native American seminarians. (observed the third Sunday of Easter)
- Human Relations Day strengthens United Methodist outreach to communities in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. and encourages social justice and work with at-risk youth. (observed the Sunday preceding the observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday)
- World Communion Sunday provides scholarships for U.S. racial and ethnic-minority students and international students, on both undergraduate and graduate levels.(observed the first Sunday in October)
John and June Smith have a $50,000 ordinary life insurance policy which was originally purchased to pay the mortgage off and to educate their two children in the event anything were to happen to John. The couple, now in their late 50's with their home paid off and their children educated and independent, would like to make a meaningful gift to a mission project they have grown to love. For the past ten years the Smith's Sunday School class has sponsored an American Indian mission project: helping to provide scholarships, health programs, a thrift store, food cooperative, vocational education programs and emergency assistance. They would like to do more.
After reviewing their assets their financial planner suggested they use their life insurance policy to fund a gift. The transfer process proved to be quick, easy, and private. They called the insurance company and requested the appropriate forms to change their beneficiary designation to Special Sundays, Native American Ministries. Now, John and June have the immense satisfaction of knowing that they will make a difference in the lives of so many.
· Please note the information on this site does not constitute legal or tax advice. Please consult your attorney, tax preparer, or estate specialist. Individual circumstances will vary.