Year Round Mission
Building a Year-Round Mission Program:
Suggestions for the Local Church
By Una Jones
There are a number of different ways for the pastors and the mission committees of local United Methodist churches to stay connected and informed about mission opportunities through the General Board of Global Ministries. Below are just a few actions that are easy to accomplish.
- Increase the number of New World Outlook subscriptions within the church. All members on mission and outreach committees should have their own copy. Call 1-513-761-2100 to receive a free copy of the Service Center Catalog.
- Join "My GBGM," an online service of the General Board of Global Ministries that emails you the kinds of stories and information that you ask for directly. Go online at http://gbgm-umc.org/mygbgm/ and click the box on the list-"My GBGM"-and register at no cost.
- Form a Covenant Relationship with a GBGM missionary. (Go to The Advance for more information.)
- Sponsor an annual mission event for the church that celebrates all aspects mission in the church, including volunteer work, food pantry and shelter contributions, UMW work, mission committee work, and funds that under gird mission.
- Promote The Advance, the second-mile giving in which 100 percent of the donation goes to the projects and causes designated by the giver.
- Support mission education by encouraging broad participation in the Schools of Christian Mission and the United Methodist Volunteers-in-Mission program.
- Promote the United Methodist Special Sundays and educate the congregation about their purpose and goals.