Global Ministries Mission Seminars
You are invited to attend a Global Ministries mission seminar at 475 Riverside Drive in New York City.
- LEARN more about global mission in The United Methodist Church.
- VISIT the offices of the General Board of Global Ministries, located in the Interchurch Center at 475 Riverside Drive.
- RECEIVE information on how to be a missionary, how to support a missionary in a Covenant Relationship, and how to support Advance projects
- DISCOVER anew the mission-minded United Methodist Church through videos resources, and conversations with Global Ministries staff.
Mission Seminars are created with you in mind and can be shaped to reflect the needs and concerns of your group. Each program is individually designed.
Groups may have a 90 minute session or an 8-10 hour program spanning two to three days. Options include presentations to an entire group and/or mini seminars to self-selected small groups.
Seminars are available for:
- Youth groups/confirmation classes.
- United Methodist Women.
- New pastors and seminarians.
- Local church mission work areas.
- Conference mission leaders.
- Conference and district secretaries of global ministries.
- All who are interested in mission.
Recommendations for lodging and meals are available upon request.
Five KEYS to a Mission Seminar:
- Hear about new initiatives in mission.
- Receive an overview of the General Board of Global Ministries.
- Experience presentations by staff regarding the work of Global Ministries units and program areas.
- Focus on specific issues such as hunger, poverty, or human rights violations.
- Highlight a specific geographical area such as Rwanda, Cuba, Florida, Russia or China.
You will learn about these and so much more when you participate in a Mission Seminar.
What about Expenses?
There are no expenses for a Mission Seminar! The Interchurch Center operates a cafeteria in the basement of the building where participants of the Seminar may purchase lunch or refreshments. Lodging in the area is made by you, although we will make recommendations to you.
- Call, write to, or email Brenda Carr of Mission Communications and request a seminar date.
- Indicate topics, areas of concern, and preferences, if any, for meeting with particular staff members.
- Submit names of all participants one week in advance of your seminar, so that building passes may be prepared.
- Arrive promptly. If your group will be delayed, please call in advance so that the schedule may be adjusted.
VISIT other places of interest:
- You can meditate in the Interchurch Center chapel.
- You can worship in or visit Riverside Church right across the street, or simply view it from the Interchurch Center.
- Other area attractions include: Riverside Park, Grant's Tomb, Manhattan School of Music, Union Theological Seminary, and Columbia University.