United Methodist Theology of Mission
Faithful Witnesses, the first resource book of The Academy of Mission Renewal, a mission education program of the General Board of Global Ministries, offers a United Methodist perspective on Christian Mission. The text connects the United Methodist Theological Task from the Book of Discipline with the current mission program goals of the denomination's mission agency.
This book is intended for small group study, but may also be of interest to individuals seeking a deeper understanding of what it means to be part of God's Mission in the world. Persons interested in exploring the theology of mission are invited to read, and/or study the book in a group setting through a local church, district, or annual conference.
While it is an academically oriented piece, it does not require any specific theological background for understanding. By engaging in the study process, church groups and individuals are encouraged to define and articulate their own mission theology as faithful witnesses of the Gospel.
Included with the book are study guides for several settings -- 1 day event, weekend retreat, or even a six session course.
How might this resource book be used where you are?
- As a weekly study as you plan your mission program with your local church committee or team on Global Ministries, Outreach, or Mission.
- With your district program council or mission task force, as you look to understand the missional challenges and excitement in the congregations of the district.
- With your annual conference board or team on Global Ministries or Outreach, as you look for ways to engage all the congregations of the conference in God's Mission throughout the world.
What might this study do for your congregation?
- Greater involvement of persons in the total mission of the Church.
- Increased understanding of the Biblical basis for God's Mission.
- More local church leaders engaged in planning and implementing a local church mission program.
Who will benefit most from the insights of this study?
- Pastors, church staff, and elected mission leaders of a local church.
- Members of district and conference boards and committees related to Global Ministries.
- Probationary pastors and local pastors in the course of study, preparing for ministry.
- Volunteer in Mission teams preparing for a cross-cultural encounter, or recently returned wanting to further understand what has been experienced.
- Anyone interesting in expanding God's Mission through the United Methodist Church.