United Methodist Volunteers in Mission - What A Way To Serve!
What is United Methodist Volunteers In Mission (UMVIM)?
UMVIM is a missionary movement within the Methodist Church designed to provide an official channel whereby Christians, both lay and clergy, may offer their skills and talents for Christian service at home and around the world on short term assignments at their own expense.
- Operates on a sound theological and Biblical basis of Christian mission
- Personalizes mission
- Transforms all who serve and host
- Demonstrates a partnership between the sending and hosting groups
- Provides renewal of the home church
What is the purpose of UMVIM?
To provide a readily available and official channel in the United Methodist Church for persons wanting to offer their time and talents in Christian mission and for those desiring to host volunteers
What can the Volunteers do?
Their work includes construction and renewing of mission facilities, teaching, witnessing, conducting medical clinics, conducting Bible study or Bible School for children, and serving in disaster relief efforts around the world
Who can go?
Anyone who wants to serve God through a volunteer experience-either with a team (10-16 persons) or as an individual; who is in relatively good health; who completes an application form; who is willing to pay his/her own way or helps to raise team funds; and who agrees to attend training sessions conducted by the team leader prior to departure.
All persons must exhibit:
- Flexibility and openness to other cultures and ways of worship
- Willingness to serve in friendship and mutuality with host and host church
- Commitment to orientation and training
- Willingness to follow the guidance of the team leader
* * *
For additional information and assistance, you may get in touch with your
Jurisdictional or Annual Conference UMVIM Coordinator,
whose contact information is listed in the Resources section
Mission Volunteers Program Area
General Board of Global Ministries
475 Riverside Drive, Suite 330
New York, NY 10115
Tel (212) 870-3825
* * *